Classic Tone/Magnetic Components Closing?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

thetragichero

Re: Classic Tone/Magnetic Components Closing?

Post by thetragichero »

i hope they keep their site up. i use their transformer spec sheets all the time, even when in not specifically using their transformers
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
Turbojunkie

Post by Turbojunkie »

Bummer...
I had not yet tried any of their transformers, but it gives me a gut check to see any amplifier component supplier go under...another COVID side effect....what a shitty year 2020 continues to be.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

I'm hopeful the supply will linger, I've never had a chance to try them. Just put an order in for 4 chassis-worth just in case...
Just plug it in, man.
didit

Post by didit »

martin manning wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:12 am Received an e-mail from MagneticComponents today saying they are ceasing operations:

"[...] a recent and serious supply chain issue that has developed.
Hello -

That thread revival was helpful. Been meaning to ask if there are any indications/insights into the specific supply chain issue they encountered?

Best .. Ian
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

didit wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:47 pmBeen meaning to ask if there are any indications/insights into the specific supply chain issue they encountered?
No details given, but I wonder if they were buying materials from China?
didit

Post by didit »

martin manning wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:21 pm
didit wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:47 pmBeen meaning to ask if there are any indications/insights into the specific supply chain issue they encountered?
No details given, but I wonder if they were buying materials from China?
That's the puzzle -- Enamelled copper wire? Electrical steel? Raw liquid enamel? There's really not much goes into a transformer.

Best .. Ian
bal704

Post by bal704 »

It could be that their main suppliers of components went under, and they couldn't get replacement suppliers fast enough. Maybe there was plenty of supply, but the prices being charged made it apparent they were going to be losing money on each transformer. Maybe the local work rules mandated all kinds of special equipment to fight the covid. If they were already struggling financially, any of these could be the final nail in the coffin.

Here's an analogy from a local restuarant that went under. They were known for cheaper steak, and had been in business for years. It was the kind of place where you could get a steak dinner with potato and salad for a pretty nice price, but it wouldn't be confused with a really nice steakhouse. When the covid hit, they had to close temporarily due to local restrictions. They could offer take-out, but steak dinners aren't really take out food for most people. So they were already hurting. When they could re-open, they discovered that their main butcher had closed down. This was apparently their main source of 'inexpensive' meat. Suddenly, they couldn't get the meat they wanted at the price their normal customers expected. Their normal customers didn't want to pay more, since they could get a better dinner for the new price somewhere else. So a place that was already struggling started losing their existing customer base. Now they are closed down.
katopan

Post by katopan »

My guess is reliable supply chain of iron laminations has let them down. Enamelled copper is pretty easy to get with many other uses (auto elec, motors, etc) so there are many suppliers. Laminations is a bit different with fewer suppliers, bulk quantities and loads to ship it.
BarryW

Post by BarryW »

I saw this morning that the Triode page says USA classic is coming soon. Anybody know what’s up?

**COMING SOON! *USA CLASSIC* tm Line of transformers!***
Made in Chicago, using the time honored paper layer wound methods, materials & specs you depend on!
BarryW

Post by BarryW »

follow up: I have spoken with the key people at Magnetic Components, they are not connected in any way with "USA Classic" or the transformers mentioned on the Triode site.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Interesting. I believe there is a history of transformer manufacturing in Chicago, including Merit Coil, CTS, and Stancor. I wonder if "stuff" (machinery, designs, etc.) has been passed around a bit since the golden days, but they just don't discuss it in case someone wants to try to enforce a patent.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Don't forget Thordarson, the Chicago company founded by Chester Thordarson, who made the first transformer in 1904.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.