Buying spare parts, which vendors?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dragonbat13

Buying spare parts, which vendors?

Post by dragonbat13 »

I've been running into having to buy stuff for one repair over and over. My hobby seems to be turning into a job.

I had tried looking through digikey, I'm disappointed with mouser these days.

Right now I am wanting to stock up on a few 1k and 1.5k 5 watt resistors for screens. As I look into digikey it's a big pain in the butt to search through what I need. Then I go to tube depot and the prices are comparable.

So my question is, when buying say 10 to 20 of these resistors where does everyone like to get them from in the usa?

I understand some places are needed for special things but when it comes to stuff like these resistors or something common there has to be an easy way.

Thanks.
bal704

Re: Buying spare parts, which vendors?

Post by bal704 »

You might try Newark. They have a pretty good selection, plus if you want to stock up they usually have good deals on a some parts. For example, I was buying 1k5 resistors for a build that cost $0.12 at mouser. Newark had them for 2 cents a piece. Just random blow out prices at times so it's worth looking a bit if you want to stock up.
xtian

Post by xtian »

It is a learned skill, so you'll get better at searching the big inventories (mouser/digikey/newark). For common amp components, you'll find AES/tubesandmore/cedist to be competitive.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Cedist, mojotone.com, valvestorm. Com, triodestore.com, tubedepot.com, tubestore.com, amplified parts, marsh amps.com, parts connection, partsExpress.com, mouser, digital, and ebay.

Mark
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

xtian wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:32 pm It is a learned skill, so you'll get better at searching the big inventories (mouser/digikey/newark). For common amp components, you'll find AES/tubesandmore/cedist to be competitive.
+1 on that. The search tools and filters will operate differently and vary in ease of use and effectiveness. There is surely a high frustration factor, especially at the beginning.

I know others here will disagree with my next statement. You might also look on eBay for some things where they can be bought dirt cheap and without the high shipping charge for small packages. It may be a crap shoot, but the prices are rock bottom. If you don't get what you want, you won't lose much.

There are also places the specialize in surplus goods where you can sometimes find good stuff cheap. Apex Jr. is a very good place and a good example.

Then there are random places like this one that often have interesting things you don't need or want and a little bit of things you might want. https://www.surplussales.com/