Mini toggle wrench ideas

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

maxkracht

Mini toggle wrench ideas

Post by maxkracht »

Anyone have ideas on how to keep Mini-toggle switches from spinning while you tighten them? I have used plenty of wrenches, pliers, just my fingers, over the years. Curious if there is a more elegant solution to this problem, especially for tight spaces. Maybe some kind of tiny clamp that pushes on the bottom of the chassis and the bottom of the switch to keep them parallel? I know getting a punch with the proper keyway so switches don't spin in the first place is probably the correct answer, but that seems like cheating...

Here's what I came up with out of stuff from the junk drawer. Works fine, but could be improved.
toggle wrench 1.jpg
toggle wrench 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sluckey

Re: Mini toggle wrench ideas

Post by sluckey »

I've had good results just using a nut driver and my fingers or needle nose pliers. They're always handy when I'm inside an amp. As a bonus, I can use my fingers and needle nose for other stuff too. :mrgreen:
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Good idea. Maybe you can improve the tool with a fixed spacer on the end where you put the screw and a screw between the spacer and the piece to hold - like in:

I'm using chopped tweezers for that kind of stuff. Rather thick ones made out of stainless steel. The shortened end makes for a better grip. Nothing as elaborated as your tool, though.
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

I always use my fingers but I likely will try the keyhole washer that comes with the switch on next builds.
Probably just a small drill hole will do.
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

i often use the ol' knuckle buster (what my dad called a crescent wrench) if I'm not just using my fingers
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Here's my second and, probably, final iteration. The screw ended up like a fixed spacer, additional hold points or pivots don't seem necessary. Just some big wide tweezers.
mini toggle wrench 3.jpg
I realize this is pretty esoteric and wouldn't be more useful than a standard wrench on most occasions, but I have run into situations where a wrench wont fit enough times to warrant this thing. I sometimes don't have enough sense to say no when someone asks me to put switches where switches shouldn't go...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.