Filter section Komet 60

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Oddvar R

Filter section Komet 60

Post by Oddvar R »

Hi. I am wondering a bit about the significanse of the values in the filter section of the Komet 60 amp. Since the electroytics are getting rather expensive lately, I was hoping to use what I have already. There are tw 20uf 450v and one 20uf 500v. What would the difference in using three 22uf 500volts here? And instead of 4 80uf's 450v using 4 100uf 500v?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
passfan

Re: Filter section Komet 60

Post by passfan »

No problem with three 22uf at 500v. Problem with the 100’s for the 80’s. Capacitors in series divide. Just the opposite of resistors , so two 100’s in series would be 50uf , as opposed to 40uf if you had bought 80’s. Tube rectifiers have a capacitance limit when loaded with a capacitor versus a choke and 40uf is pretty much a good rule of thumb for most if you wish to avoid the fireworks show. You could do a search for data sheets on rectifiers. You may also be ok with the second set of filters because they hit a choke first. Someone else may chime in here as well to verify.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
Stevem

Re: Filter section Komet 60

Post by Stevem »

Using the 100 uf filters instead of the 80s will make the amp more punchy when really cranked up and also the output stage will clip a little latter in term of its peak wattage output.
The other filters you want to use will not make a bit of difference provided they are good.
Keep in mind that filter caps just like resistors have a tolerance range, so even the best most expensive filters could be 5% higher or lower then there stated uf value.
The norm for non top grade filters is more like 10% higher or 20% lower
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!