Current direction?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

benoit

Re: Current direction?

Post by benoit »

skyboltone wrote:Yeah, but I know one Moroon that flipped the layout for a tubes up build and ended up with all his tube sockets wired exactly backwards.......
Haha.. but he earned his way back out o' that dunce cap as I recall..
jjman

Post by jjman »

Parent always told kids that your legs will cramp if you swim soon after eating. In school they told us that touching a bird nest will make the parents stay away and the babies will die. In addition they talked about some special type of stupid theoretical water (forget the name.) They also said the greenhouse affect was based on “long” vs. “short” light waves. And they said the electron orbits the nucleus.

I always had difficulty with these theories. All but the last have been proven untrue in my life. I’ll be convinced on the orbit thing when I see a picture of it. :)
If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.
WholeToneMusic

Mysterious Electrons

Post by WholeToneMusic »

Well The engineers will tell you current flows from + to - and the technicians will say it flows from - to + in a DC circuit. I am just grateful that it flows. :lol:
Last edited by WholeToneMusic on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

WholeToneMusic wrote:Well The engineers will tell you current flows from + to - and the technicians will say it flows from - to + in a DC circuit. I am just grateful that it flows. :lol:
Actually, recently-schooled engineers will tell you that current flows one way, but electrons flow the other way; they do know the difference. Problem is that the set of standard electronic formulas (which technicians use also) are founded on the current flow convention. I too am grateful that if flows ;)
axx_grinder49

Current Direction

Post by axx_grinder49 »

WholeToneMusic

Post by WholeToneMusic »

Interesting gearhead, Those electrons are mysterious buggers, I can definately feel them flowing!!! :P

www.whole-tonemusic.com
Helping musicians optimize their sound.
www.whole-tonemusic.com
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

Imagine a long line of cars at the red light. Light changes to green - at this moment a "wake up demon" runs backwards in the line waking up drivers. Cars start to move forward (the electrons) one by one but the "wake up demon ie current" runs in opposite direction and much faster than the cars.

Electron flow vs current flow confusion: current is an attribute of electron flow not a separate phenomenon.
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
mooreamps

Post by mooreamps »

I don't know why some engineering texts are written in this manner. It was a cause of some debate when I was in school. The real answer is probably, it's only academic. If you look at current flow inside a PN junction, one can postuate hole movement in direction is an indication of electron movement in the other direction. However, in a vacuum tube circuit, how can one speckulate hole movement from plate to grid ?
-g