Locked post

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Stevem

Locked post

Post by Stevem »

I see that the postings by nflrage has been locked and one can’t even contact him by PM which I would like to do.
I want to find out how he has made out and if he could use more help.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
sluckey

Re: Locked post

Post by sluckey »

Maybe you missed his final abusive post at about 6:00am yesterday that triggered Colossal to lock the thread? Later in the morning, that post was deleted. He basically told pompeiisneaks to FU. Without that post it's not apparent why the thread was locked.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Yes, I saw that post by him, but it was not directed to all of us in that string.
Some folks are living right on the edge in may ways due to the effects of the last 18 months and much patience/ control has gone by the wayside for now, and many are still looking for any crumb of normal happiness they can eek out of life, that’s how I view things like this!

He just wants his amp to stop giving him more crap!

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Stevem wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:47 pm He just wants his amp to stop giving him more crap!
Sure, but he ain't smart enough to fix it himself and he's too arrogant and stubborn to listen to the people that are trying to help.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Phil doesn't get paid to administer this site. He does so out of his love for amps, good friends and company, and music. Even if he did, I can't think of a single circumstance where that kind of behavior is even remotely acceptable, let alone on a public forum or place. We live in a time where outrageous behavior in public is tolerated and even somehow venerated or justified and excused because of circumstance. That disgusts me. You come to someone else's home with an ask, then you need to come with some respect and humility, and be open to learning something. We're all guests here, not entitled to membership. This forum has always had its share of personality disordered individuals that come through, and they never last. However, the dialogue (generally) remains cordial and respectful, even when strong differences of opinion and experience occur.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Stevem wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:47 pm Yes, I saw that post by him, but it was not directed to all of us in that string.
Some folks are living right on the edge in may ways due to the effects of the last 18 months and much patience/ control has gone by the wayside for now, and many are still looking for any crumb of normal happiness they can eek out of life, that’s how I view things like this!

He just wants his amp to stop giving him more crap!
I applaud your attitude.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I guess I must ask, since this post is containing information that, to me, indicates maybe I was in the wrong... Was I in the wrong?

If so, I apologize and request either by PM or even here that I'm informed of where I was wrong.

That being said, if you wish to email him, the problem becomes that I have to respect his right to privacy, as he may not have wanted his email address given out to anyone that asked. Sorry. That's pretty much typical of anyone that's warehousing personal data. If he complained somewhere else that we had given out his email address without his personal permission, it could come back to us in some way. I'm not 100% sure of how or what could happen, but I'd prefer not to risk that.

I understand that being upset about daily life might make someone angry, but not sure how anyone thinks that asking for help by bullying is going to produce a positive outcome. Just before being told to F Off, or FU or whichever way he insulted me directly, I read the entire thread again, and it was very clear to me of two things:

1. the forum members were being their usual super helpful, knowledgeable selves
2. he was sure that he was having his personal time wasted by too many people making wild ass guesses about his problem instead of knowing the exact answer instantly

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Let it be. He has absolutely nothing to contribute to the forum.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Why do I always miss the fun!

Ampgarage is the best site ever and the active members are the best with such knowledge, thanks everyone!

Mark
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

You're not wrong Phil.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
xtian

Post by xtian »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:31 pm I guess I must ask, since this post is containing information that, to me, indicates maybe I was in the wrong... Was I in the wrong?
No, not wrong. I absolutely appreciate your action in this case.

I also appreciate @Stevem 's willingness to keep helping offline.

All y'all are awesome.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Ten Over

Post by Ten Over »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:31 pm I guess I must ask, since this post is containing information that, to me, indicates maybe I was in the wrong... Was I in the wrong?
The gentleman backed himself into a corner when he claimed to have a deep knowledge of circuits and then proceeded to display a profound ignorance of the same. He had two main choices once backed into a corner: 1.) Admit his shortcomings and beg for mercy or 2.) attack. It was abundantly clear to me the whole time that he was not going to select option 1, so it was of no surprise to me when he attacked. His choice of words was a little surprising, but not the attack itself.

You and that other guy essentially started poking a cornered animal with a stick. Was this wrong? Not if your intent was to eliminate him from this forum. If your intent was to modify his behavior, then your actions were clearly wrong in light of his reaction. I think you expected him to respond in a rational manner when he had already demonstrated irrational behavior. Under these circumstances, a different plan of action could well have elicited the desired result.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

~Phil
For what my two cents are worth, you were incredibly lenient and you were not at all wrong. I was surprised you gave him the space with the cordiality that you did. Way above and beyond the call. I find myself allowing less and less for people who allow others to see the enlightenment around their own misbehavior instead of them. Applying the 80:20 Rule saves a shitload of time and energy. Carry on.

And you are the man. Thanks for all you do.
Last edited by ViperDoc on Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just plug it in, man.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Once again just to be fair to him, and his stated knowledge of aircraft and reading and troubleshooting there electronics with a schematic, control circuits and sender’s and such are quite different then dealing with a audio amp and the things that need to go on in them to amplify signal.

I am sure he does not get into internally repairing the radio, or the radar in a craft which would have given him a bit of a leg up with the amp build stuff!

I bet he would be great at troubleshooting relay switching circuits in amps though!

Gainzilla

Post by Gainzilla »

Late to the party here, but here is my .02 anyway.

I'm an admin on a well established Facebook group. By and large, the group feels like an extension of the family/friends circle. Very kind, generous, and thoughtful people. Once in a while you get someone who comes in with an attitude. They stand out like a sore thumb. For reasons stevem mentioned, I try to have a little empathy. When I see some sh*t going down, I post a "general reminder" to be kind to each other and play nice (without directly calling the person out). That usually solves it right there. The regulars are usually cool-headed enough to back away and let it go. In a couple cases where the offender continues stirring the pot, I'll post another reply with a more stern warning, sometimes even calling them out by name. "Billy, cool down and play nice or you'll be shown the door." By that point, they usually realize they've been an ass, and slink away quietly (or with one last chest-puff). Literally one time in 5 years, I've had to break out the ban hammer.

YMMV, but generally I don't start out heavy handed and I don't embarrass them publicly. First offense gets you off with a warning kind of a thing. I'm not saying that's what should've happened here, as I didn't see the thread, and certainly there is nothing wrong with having a strict policy of not tolerating a$$holes. Cheers!
I know it's only rock and roll, but I like it!