Cap polarity

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

a_e_a

Cap polarity

Post by a_e_a »

Just wondering the polarity of these caps. Seems the wrap indicates a different direction than the shape of the cap. Is this correct? Sorry for the noob question but seemed odd to me and I wanted to be sure.

Thanks for any help.
686A0AE5-A706-43D3-B1FE-C5E3C9642D60.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChopSauce

Re: Cap polarity

Post by ChopSauce »

If I were definitely forced to use the puzzling one (indeed!) I'd be tempted to believe more in the shape of the can than on its outer plastic sleeve/wrap but really I would be tempted to send it back to the seller... :wink:
CraigGa

Post by CraigGa »

I've never seen that before, the top one is correct.
Did you get them from a reputable supplier?

Craig
Thinking about my second build.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

On whichever end of those type of caps you see the full metal end of the case, then that is for sure the negative end period!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

Stevem wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:07 pm On whichever end of those type of caps you see the full metal end of the case, then that is for sure the negative end period!
this, definitely

that being said, i would be inclined to send this back so that the next poor schlub isn't confused while in there replacing caps
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Yes, the vendor needs to be made aware of shoddy product that’s passing through their hands.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Actually, all prospective customers (that's us! :wink: ) need to know who the vendor and seller is/was.Quality capacitor suppliers don't make mistakes like this.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Yes, the above can certainly be true as I have come across it a lot on the supply side of the manufacturing work I do daily.
Those caps could very well be cheap knock offs of what you thought was a quality cap!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

When could it possibly be profitable to fake a penny?

The World is a wonder.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Reeltarded wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:08 pm When could it possibly be profitable to fake a penny?
The feds have been doing it for a looong time!
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Reeltarded wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:08 pm When could it possibly be profitable to fake a penny?
When you're faking 10 million of them. :shock:

I ran across a good video on youtube. Fellow with handle of "bigclive" does disassembly and commentary on sketchy and possibly dangerous electronics devices from ebay and other places. Fun to watch and I mostly agree with his commentary.

More to the point, he disassembled a "MegaRAIZEN" automotive "improver" box. This is just a box with some capacitors in it that claims incredible (and generally false) improvements to your car from bolting it in. Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISt_G_cBwbY
What he found was that four out of the five electro capacitors inside were completely dry - no electrolyte at all. Instead of 1000uF, they measured about 6nF as a result of having no electrolyte. Apparently, the maker was able to make money from selling a zillion plastic boxes with one good and four fake electrolytic caps inside. My question was why they bothered to put the aluminum strips and insulators inside at all. Why not just sand or tar? Apparently they thought it was profitable.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

sluckey wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:26 pm
And it still costs the US Treasury almost 2 cents to make a penny, so if you can do it cheaper, then...
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

R.G. wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:27 pmApparently, the maker was able to make money from selling a zillion plastic boxes with one good and four fake electrolytic caps inside. My question was why they bothered to put the aluminum strips and insulators inside at all. Why not just sand or tar? Apparently they thought it was profitable.
Last several years I've been drowning in my guitar amp builds and have focused on repairing/modding them instead, so have been building/repairing audio gear. The amount of fake electronic components sold for this market is staggering, no doubt because some out of production parts are really hard to come by and very expensive. The general rule of thumb is that if a seller other than the well-known large supply houses is selling parts, the part is suspect. There are some legit sellers on the big auction site, but one needs to do a lot of research and screening before trusting. Electrolytic caps have been a problem with poor quality and fakes for many years. The cost of damage from a bad part to other components in solid state gear is potentially quite high, so I am careful what parts I buy.

On a parallel track; the amount of money audiophools will pay for something that has no possible way of working is astounding. We're talking huge sums for really, really, ineffective things that look good or are marketed well. Like empty wood boxes, or adhesive dots, or boxes filled with mystery material (sand, no doubt).
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

sluckey wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:26 pm
K. Anyone else for the gulag? Anyone who laughed.. anyone?

Thought so.

Carry on.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I have an idea.

We should make sand resistors with something cheaper.