Strange red plating tubes on new build

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Firestorm

Re: Strange red plating tubes on new build

Post by Firestorm »

So that's 4.365 watts. Kind of the textbook definition of biased too cold, certainly not red plate territory. BTW, -30 VDC bias voltage doesn't seem right for that reading. I'd think the tubes would be pulling way more current.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Yes, I agree, I would think that with -30 on pin 5 that even halfway decent tubes would be idling at 18 to 20 ma.

Please confirm that you have no ac voltage on pin 5 for us!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Guitarxtc

Post by Guitarxtc »

Stevem wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:38 pm Pull out your outputs, set your meter for ac volts and read what you have on pin 5 of either tube, do you have AC volts showing up there?
varies from 2 to 20 AC millivolts
Ten Over

Post by Ten Over »

Here is a bias supply for your consideration:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Please note the correct install of the diodes in Ten over's bias supply as compared to yours!

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Guitarxtc

Post by Guitarxtc »

Stevem wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:04 am Please note the correct install of the diodes in Ten over's bias supply as compared to yours!
have a look at photo please,left side is output to tubes,right side is ground and middle wires are from PT,diodes are Fast avalanshe sinterglass by269, can some diodes type make this kind of problems? i didn' draw correctly in first post
image0 (1).jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Guitarxtc on Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guitarxtc

Post by Guitarxtc »

I will try to reverse diodes, then i have on HT supply diodes wrong wired :(
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Guitarxtc wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:53 am I will try to reverse diodes, then i have on HT supply diodes wrong wired :(
Please don't. Your diodes are wired correctly and your voltage measurements support that fact.

Your schematic drawing was incorrect, but that was just an error on paper.

You still need a resistor in series with the pot to prevent being able to adjust the bias voltage to zero.
Guitarxtc

Post by Guitarxtc »

sluckey wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:10 pm
Guitarxtc wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:53 am I will try to reverse diodes, then i have on HT supply diodes wrong wired :(
Please don't. Your diodes are wired correctly and your voltage measurements support that fact.

Your schematic drawing was incorrect, but that was just an error on paper.

You still need a resistor in series with the pot to prevent being able to adjust the bias voltage to zero.
I am testing everything,and to me diodes seems solder ok, i rewired bias supply like Ten Over drawn for me and i have range from -26 to -47 negative volts but small current draw on tubes like before. suspecting wrong diodes type, will try 1n4007...dont' know what else can be because i changed everything
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Guitarxtc wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:20 pm i rewired bias supply like Ten Over drawn for me and i have range from -26 to -47 negative volts but small current draw on tubes like before. suspecting wrong diodes type, will try 1n4007...dont' know what else can be because i changed everything
Nothing wrong with the BY269 diodes. Changing them to 1N4007 will do nothing. I suspect that all tubes that have been plugged into this amp are now defective due to redplating caused by improper bias setting. I really believe that a fresh set of EL34s will fix this problem ***IF*** everything else is wired correctly. You do have pin 1 connected to pin 8, right?
Guitarxtc

Post by Guitarxtc »

sluckey wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:38 pm
Guitarxtc wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:20 pm i rewired bias supply like Ten Over drawn for me and i have range from -26 to -47 negative volts but small current draw on tubes like before. suspecting wrong diodes type, will try 1n4007...dont' know what else can be because i changed everything
Nothing wrong with the BY269 diodes. Changing them to 1N4007 will do nothing. I suspect that all tubes that have been plugged into this amp are now defective due to redplating caused by improper bias setting. I really believe that a fresh set of EL34s will fix this problem ***IF*** everything else is wired correctly. You do have pin 1 connected to pin 8, right?
Yes pin 1 and 8 are connected to 1ohm resistor and then to ground,tried directly to ground and is the same, will order new el34 pair and try
SoulFetish

Post by SoulFetish »

Dude, you are measuring across a 0.1 Ω resistor. I suspect that when you install proper 1 Ω resistors in place of those, it will all make more sense

(brown-black-silver with gold band as the tolerance)
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

GOOD catch soulfetish!!!
I did not zoom in enough to see that, but you are 100% correct, the OP has .1 ohm resistors where 1 ohm should be off of those output cathodes!!
It's very likely that every pair of output tubes he has had in there are fully shot!

This is a classic example of why folks new to the amp building thing even if you have built 50 stomp boxes before should not attempt to build anything more more then Fender Champ, or a Gibson GA-5.

If you F up one of these even big time atleast you have not lost much Dollar wise in major parts!

Guitarxtc, just chalk it up to a life lesson, don't get down about and keep moving forward now like you are.

Guitarxtc

Post by Guitarxtc »

SoulFetish wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:38 am Dude, you are measuring across a 0.1 Ω resistor. I suspect that when you install proper 1 Ω resistors in place of those, it will all make more sense

OMG :shock: resistors actually are 0.2Ω, on bag was drawn 1Ω 5w from my supplier but they are not...is my fault that i did not measure before soldering :(

thanks Soulfetish to catch that
jabguit

Post by jabguit »

SoulFetish wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:38 am Dude, you are measuring across a 0.1 Ω resistor. I suspect that when you install proper 1 Ω resistors in place of those, it will all make more sense

brown/black/gold/gold
Jack Briggs
Briggs Guitars