Unity Gain Stage

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dorrisant

Unity Gain Stage

Post by dorrisant »

I am building a 2 channel thing... and I need to match phase with the other channel. Channel 1 is 3 stages.

On channel 2, I am using the vibrato channel from an AB763 circuit. This is two stages. What would you guys suggest as a 3rd stage? I don't want extra gain added. Trying to keep this as the "clean as possible" channel.
Maybe something along the lines of a cathode follower? Idk, the gain of the cf is a little less than unity, so I'm guessing that may be good enough. If so, how would you implement it?
Maybe it should just be a normal triode stage with reduced gain. That's why I'm asking... I want to know how some of you have addressed this issue in the past. Suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
sluckey

Re: Unity Gain Stage

Post by sluckey »

A CF is no good because there is no phase inversion. But a cathodyne will work well. Gain is about 1 and the signal on the plate is inverted.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Good point Steve... no phase inversion.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
xtian

Post by xtian »

I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you will never blend to two channels together, then it does not matter that there out of phase if you use a CF, as it will then be just like stock BF or SF Fender with reverb!

In the schematic you posted the normal channel enters the PI with the same phase as it hit the first gain stage with, on the vibrato channel it enters the PI out of phase, which is why you can't jump channels on these.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

The Vibrato channel in AB763 is three stages, not two. The reverb mix stage attenuates the dry signal by about 95% by running it through the voltage divider formed by the 3M3 with the 220k/470k shunt, but does invert it.
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

first thing that popped into my mind is the subject of this thread: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15618
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
Ten Over

Post by Ten Over »

Whereas a cathodyne will invert with near unity gain, it also has half as much headroom as a fully-bypassed gain stage with the same load. This may not be desirable for a channel striving for "clean as possible". Attenuating the signal and then running it into an inverting gain stage like a paraphase PI does or using an inverting gain stage with local NFB are a couple of possibilities.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

And a cathodyne’s high value, unbypassed cathode resistor will tend to degrade the signal to noise ratio.
The self balancing paraphase around V4b of a Vox AC50 MkIII may be a good option https://el34world.com/charts/Schematics ... ac50_2.pdf
http://aikenamps.com/index.php/designin ... amplifiers
Last edited by pdf64 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Ten Over wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:07 pm Whereas a cathodyne will invert with near unity gain, it also has half as much headroom as a fully-bypassed gain stage with the same load. This may not be desirable for a channel striving for "clean as possible". Attenuating the signal and then running it into an inverting gain stage like a paraphase PI does or using an inverting gain stage with local NFB are a couple of possibilities.
If you wrap enough negative feedback around a common cathode gain stage you wind up with an "anode follower," which I think doesn't suffer the headroom limitations of the cathodyne. Merlin covers it in the preamp book. Also in O'Connor's TUT 1, iirc.
Ten Over

Post by Ten Over »

Here are three ideas for unity gain stages that invert.
Unity Gain with Inversion.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Thank you to all for the suggestions!! Now I will go let the iron smoke.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Ten Over wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:55 pm Here are three ideas for unity gain stages that invert.
Unity Gain with Inversion.png
With the feedback designs, what’s the rationale for leaving the cathode unbypassed?
Ten Over

Post by Ten Over »

pdf64 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:47 pm With the feedback designs, what’s the rationale for leaving the cathode unbypassed?
I calculated a closed loop gain of 1.03 using an open loop gain of 32 and an open loop output impedance of 68K. I calculated a closed loop output impedance of 15.9K. Under these circumstances, I could see no reason to use another component in order to bypass the cathode resistor.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

An unbypassed cathode facilitates noise to enter the signal path. To avoid this occurring early into the signal path (ie where it causes the greatest degradation of the signal to noise ratio), it’s beneficial to fully bypass the cathode of an input stage.