Speaker Wire recommendations

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ViperDoc

Speaker Wire recommendations

Post by ViperDoc »

Hope you guys and gals are having a great week.

I wondered what the ideal speaker wire is for wired speakers in combo cabs? I usually just use two strands of twisted 18 AWG copper stranded-core wire and a right-angle plug. Then I recently got recommended a speaker wire that's 12 AWG that looked like Tarzan could swing on it. I've always used large cable for wiring my surround sound systems in my house (which sound incredible), but I don't often see such large wire used in combo cabs. What do you all like to use?
Just plug it in, man.
jabguit

Re: Speaker Wire recommendations

Post by jabguit »

Always believed speaker wires should not be twisted, so I use 16 or 14 OFC stranded.

cheers,
Jack Briggs
Briggs Guitars
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

jabguit wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:43 am Always believed speaker wires should not be twisted
Why?
jabguit

Post by jabguit »

added capacitance
Jack Briggs
Briggs Guitars
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Zip cord a/k/a lamp cord, available in various gauges. 16 or 18 gauge ought to be plenty fat enough unless you are driving a wall of sound setup. It's cheap. You can buy it at the big box store by the foot. If you are using twisted due to concerns about noise, the parallel layout of zip cord should be equal. Typically, one side of the jacket has a raised or colored stripe and the other is smooth, so there's no problem knowing which one you are attaching at the other end.
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

i wired a few 4x12 cabs with 12awg stranded wire soldered directly to speaker/jack terminals. i would not suggest it
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Lamp cord from big box stores, every now and again I'll save the cord from a 3prong conversion. Same thing really.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

There will be no induced noise at a level to drive a speaker. It's the realm of low voltage high current. In combos i use two 16 gauge silver plated OFC wires. Not for cork sniffing, but because I've found over time, the copper zip line I've used developed oxidation running down the line from the connectors.
For external cabs I use prefab commercial speaker cables. 1/4" plugs for all but higher power bass amps. They get Speakons.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

All very much appreciated. It's about as short a run as you can get, but the thought occurred to ask. I can't say I've ever been disappointed.

I noticed Steve Carr uses what looks to be some relatively buff cable inside his combos I own, I just have no idea what it is. He shrink wraps the knurled fastener on the right angle connector. Not a bad idea.
Just plug it in, man.