A transparent quality FX box for serial amp FX loop

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pjd3

A transparent quality FX box for serial amp FX loop

Post by pjd3 »

Hey there,

This recent amp build with be my first having a high voltage serial effects loop.

For the most part, I'm primarily looking for good quality Reverbs, Delays, with maybe some time based effects like chorus with a little modulation - "Don't need "200 different effects to choose from!!!" - far more concerned about sonic richness and quality than quantity of odd FX. And it really has to be near transparent as possible, I know anything that interrupts a circuit in series is going to change something about the sound but, it shouldn't reak havoc with eq, transients or soften the tone in anyway that is notably apparent.

Note: I'm considering a pedal to conserve on space, something that can even sit on top of amp. I use a fairy big pedal board as is, and it's full.

This is for an amp that will never be played clean - it will solely for the hard rock Marshally distortion tones of the 70's and 80's popular classic rock.

The only effects pedal I ever bought was a "Hall of Fame 2" and while I thought it was acceptably transparent on the direct tone, I thought the reverbs/effects were kind of, I don't know, "Milky", "washed out, "smeary", just not very dimensional or depthy.

So, I'd really be curious to hear a little about your ventures working through these reverb/delay/chorus/timebase pedals to finally arrive on something that was "right" and "inspiring", for me meaning transparent enough, rich, inspiring, good depth, realness and fidelity. You know, more like you would hear on a recording, rather than a poor attempt at just getting some FX into a box.

Thanks,
Best,
Phil D
I’m only one person (most of the time)
TUBEDUDE

Re: A transparent quality FX box for serial amp FX loop

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Hey Phil,
I've found the Afterneath to fit that bill. And I'll bet the new version is even better. Earthquaker knocked it out of the park with that one.
I prefer it to any reverb/delay, but I can't afford a Big Sky or Timeline, and I guess they're the great $$$ option.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

+1 on an Earthquaker pedal. I love my Dispatch Master. Reverb & Echo in one pedal. I also have a Keeley Caverns that has more variations of Delay & Echo but the modulated reverb sucks..... Both have analog dry through paths and sound good in a serial loop. I prefer the Dispatch Master(by a mile) for it's more modern lush reverb.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I have the Avalanch also. It has reverb and delay. I like the reverse, and swell reverb functions. And it's stereoo. I have to play more with the delay functions to get all the possibilities. Run it into two amps in stereo is magic. Makes anything sound better. The soft momentary switches are in V2 and beyond.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

Thanks everybody for your replies,

I'm actively listening to as many clips as I can find on these ones that you mentioned, and already there may be a contender or two in there.

And I appreciate hearing about what you think sucks just as much as whats good! Who wants suck!

Thanks again, can't wait to hear a good pedal through this current amp build.

Best,
Phil D
I’m only one person (most of the time)