Power tube output transformer mismatch

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

romberg

Power tube output transformer mismatch

Post by romberg »

I have a couple of amps where an output transformer is being driven by tubes that can (in theory) deliver more power than the transformer is rated for. In one case I have a pair of el34s operating at 450V into an OT rated at 30 watts (marshall artist 3203). And the other amp is a fender super reverb with a pair of 6l6gcs at around 460V into a 40 watt rated output transformer.

My first question is: Does this need to be taken into consideration when biasing the power tubes?

I've often seen folks mention just biasing the 6l6s up to 50-70% of their max plate dissipation (30W) and off you go. But thinking about this makes me unsure. I'm assuming that a 40w output transformer would start to experience core saturation at 40watts. So, maybe these amps should really be biased at 50-70% of the power rating of the output transformer rather than the power tube plates? I think this might make for more headroom for such mismatched transformers. But I'm not sure. It occurs to me that this may not really make a difference as the OT is really the limiting factor so just bias the power tubes as usual.

Second question is more of a design thing. What keeps such a setup from cooking the output transformer? I realise this could be a very complicated area of discussion :). At idle, the tubes only deliver a small amount of power into the DC resistance of the primary. So, I'm assuming the limiting factor in the transformer is magnetic core saturation? If so, when this happens, what effects happen on each side of the OT? Does the impedance seen by the power tubes rise thus reducing the current on the primary? Or can the tubes (assuming they are backed by a stout power supply) just burn up the primary? I'm assuming the voltage on the secondary side may just clip.

Mike
Stevem

Re: Power tube output transformer mismatch

Post by Stevem »

Sorry I would like to reply to you, but I do not have the time, but quickly what I want it mention is that a vintage SR on today’s wall voltage and with strong testing output tubes and rectifier will put out more like 50 watts rms .
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

power output mostly limited by the power transformer
bias to 60-70% and don't overthink it
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
bepone

Post by bepone »

romberg wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:41 pm I have a couple of amps where an output transformer is being driven by tubes that can (in theory) deliver more power than the transformer is rated for. In one case I have a pair of el34s operating at 450V into an OT rated at 30 watts (marshall artist 3203). And the other amp is a fender super reverb with a pair of 6l6gcs at around 460V into a 40 watt rated output transformer.

My first question is: Does this need to be taken into consideration when biasing the power tubes?
no, output transformer doesnt have strict limits.. limits are:
saturation of the magnetic field in the core, and this is happening on bass frequencies or lower part of the spectrum , depending of the core cross section and many other factors
and thickness of the primary wire, but this wire can be abused in normal /not cheap/ transformer..

so when abused first transformer will start to saturate, and after that "farting" out due to collapse in magnetic field .. after that if one tube will pull 5x-10x more current in some moment of malfunction or short circuit, primary wire will be burnt and OT unusable
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

romberg wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:41 pm I have a couple of amps where an output transformer is being driven by tubes that can (in theory) deliver more power than the transformer is rated for. In one case I have a pair of el34s operating at 450V into an OT rated at 30 watts (marshall artist 3203). And the other amp is a fender super reverb with a pair of 6l6gcs at around 460V into a 40 watt rated output transformer.
I suspect those voltages are at idle? If so they’ll sag, perhaps by 100V when cranked.
It’s the anode and g2 voltages at full power output that determine the loadline and power output.
Idle voltages are only really relevant to setting a suitable idle bias.

… Does this need to be taken into consideration when biasing the power tubes?
Bias only really affects linearity, it would need to be ridiculously off for anode current at signal peaks to be affected.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I failed to say that the black and silver face Bassman’s use the same mass/ size OT and when set up in top notch form will produce the same wattage.

Please correct me if I am wrong with what I am going to say, but I believe the OT is under the highest load just above where the max RMS wattage has been made, clipping has started and in conjunction with the power supply voltage starting to dip off.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

A power amplifier can best be thought of as a power supply that lets out some of the power it takes from the wall socket under highly specialized conditions. An amplifier output stage simply cannot put out more power than the power supply makes.
The tubes are pass-through devices, that do that letting through of the power supply's power, wasting some power heating themselves in the process. Tubes cannot let through more power than the power supply can provide them. They also cannot "make" output power. Rather, they can let through a certain amount of power before they melt themselves down from the waste heat.
The amount of power the tubes can let through is also limited by how well the output transformer matches their preferred voltage and current limits to power transferred to the load.
Output transformers do not have impedances, they have ratios. A transformer rated at (made up example here!) 6K to 8 ohms only loads the tubes with 6k when there really is 8 ohms on the secondary. When the secondary load is 4 ohms, the tubes are loaded with 3k, and when the secondary load is 16 ohms, the load on the tubes is 12K.
How much power the tubes can let through the OT to the secondary is indeed affected by bias. In general, a specific pair of tubes can let through a variable amount of power depending on bias. Biased to class A, they have the lowest distortion, but can make the least power. This involves having a continuous high-ish DC current in the OT that causes some additional power waste/heating in the OT wires. Both the tubes and the OT are hottest and therefore can produce the least power without dying from the heat in Class A. Class A usage also uses the most power from the power supply, so a Class A power supply has to be beefier for the same tubes and OT than one used in class ab or b.
Class B involves using only half the OT primary (in a push-pull setup) at a time, so the OT heating is down a lot, and so is the heating on the tubes. You get way more output power from a given set of tubes and OT in class B than in class A before either the tubes or OT are damaged by heating. Also more distortion. Also requires less power out of the power supply.
Class AB is a hybrid. As you turn the bias down from full class A toward class B, for the heating on the tubes and OT, you can use more power from the power supply without melting the tubes or the OT, until you get to class B. You get first a little, then increasingly more distortion as you do this bias change.
Takeaways:
- The tubes don't make power, they let the power supply power through. And they only let through what you tell them to do by both bias and signal level.
- The amount of bias on the tubes affects how much power the tubes can let through without melting. The closer to class A, the more waste heat they produce for every watt put out through the OT, so the higher the static bias current, the lower the power supply voltage usually is designed.
- for a given power supply, the higher the idle current, the lower the distortion, but the higher the idle heating on the tubes, and the higher the tube heating is at a given output power; continuously increasing idle current in an amp with a power supply designed for near-class-B operation (that is, higher B+) is a good way to melt tubes.
- Class A biased amps have a nearly fixed amount of power used from the power supply. The tubes heat less as the output signal rises from idle.
- Class B amps have very little waste heat in the tubes at idle; tube heating (and power supply power output) goes up radically as the signal level rises.
- Class AB (which is where we all work) idle cooler at biases nearer B and hotter at biases nearer A. Biasing an AB amp hotter heats the tubes more, the OT a little more, and has less increase in tube and OT heating with bigger signals; you pay for that by having the static heating higher all the time.
Final bit of backgrouund. OT power rating is a slippery topic. An OT rated for some fixed output power, say 40W, does have a different internal heating at different biases. But it is not clear at all whether the power rating on the OT was limited by internal heating, low frequency bandwidth, or the impedance ratio and an implied bandwidth. Transformer power ratings are slippery. The real limit is internal heating breaking down the internal insulation, which you usually don't get to know for an OT. The iron and copper will work fine at temperatures visible as a slight red glow in a dark room if the insulation parts don't allow shorts, and will at this temp put out many times more power. So heat death for an OT is determined by how hot the insulation can get and still not allow shorts. This info is generally unavailable for guitar amp OTs.

I've often seen folks mention just biasing the 6l6s up to 50-70% of their max plate dissipation (30W) and off you go. But thinking about this makes me unsure. I'm assuming that a 40w output transformer would start to experience core saturation at 40watts. So, maybe these amps should really be biased at 50-70% of the power rating of the output transformer rather than the power tube plates? I think this might make for more headroom for such mismatched transformers. But I'm not sure. It occurs to me that this may not really make a difference as the OT is really the limiting factor so just bias the power tubes as usual.
The OT is generally not the limiting factor. It's generally tube heating or power supply capability. Bias for the tubes, not the OT.
Second question is more of a design thing. What keeps such a setup from cooking the output transformer? I realise this could be a very complicated area of discussion :).
You got it in one. That's why I started with the stuff above.
At idle, the tubes only deliver a small amount of power into the DC resistance of the primary. So, I'm assuming the limiting factor in the transformer is magnetic core saturation? If so, when this happens, what effects happen on each side of the OT? Does the impedance seen by the power tubes rise thus reducing the current on the primary? Or can the tubes (assuming they are backed by a stout power supply) just burn up the primary? I'm assuming the voltage on the secondary side may just clip.
The limiting factor on the OT is insulation breakdown temperature, as above. It's rare that an OT is so poorly put together that tube bias will push it over the edge, though. Could happen, but not often.
Magnetic core saturation is not generally an issue. An iron core can absorb a given amount of integrated volts-times-seconds before its primary inductance ramps to the edge of saturation. So a transformer saturates more on low frequency signals. At higher frequencies, the signal doesn't last as long in one direction before reversing, so you can pump a lot more volts in on a half cycle before saturating. Saturation is a low frequency issue. It's also complicated. You can't saturate a transformer from the secondary, so secondary loading isn't the issue. Magnetic saturation per se does not heat transformers, but it makes their primary inductance drop dramatically, meaning that external circuits that rely on the primary inductance to limit current are on their own, so sometimes current skyrockets, overheating the externals a lot and the transformer a bit. Saturation, if it every happens, also dramatically lowers the coupling from primary to secondary, so the secondary voltage waveform flattens off at saturation, as the primary can no longer drive it effectively.
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

Exclude the tube for the moment, and look at the PT and the OPT. The transformer set has its own limiting specifications. The power transformer has a ma. rating for the voltage it provides, and the output transformer has a max primary DC bias ma. rating. Both need to be respected as a limit for your application. In general you should be well within both, irregardless of the tube type. This even before considering the impedance loading that the tube see's thru the OPT. Try and double check the OPT primary max DC ma. rating as a limiting factor. Most transformer sets are provided with this in mind. It'll be the opt loading for the tube type that will affect the performance in the end.
lazymaryamps
romberg

Post by romberg »

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and information on this subject! I found it all educational. In particular, the fact that a transformer's wattage rating may not be as simple as say that of a resistor.

Fender (and others) have been doing this sort of thing for quite a while. So, I guessed that this arrangement was not dangerous to the health of the OT. And now, I have a better understanding of why.

Mike
bepone

Post by bepone »

IMO OT's can be loaded to at least to double power, only bass spectrum will suffer.. primary wire if not heavilly undercalculated cannot be burnt easily. also all OTs are running cold, so no worries. OT's power nomenclature is just guideline where manufacturer find that is their optimum (but in many cases is not strict number). sometimes i'm using 15W OT on 50W amp per example. moreover i'm also using when in rush for some test 20W power transformer on 50W power amp. :lol: you get heat and compression with thin wire which is not so bad.
it is not transistor amp nothing can explode. it is very wide usable range for good PT and OT.
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi everyone,

Why do amplifier factories for the same type of tube use OTs with different characteristics? for example the hammond 1620 6600 Ohm CT, 1608 8000 Ohm CT, 1615 5000 Ohm CT all suitable for 2x6V6, but also for two 6L6 as in the case of the Hammond 1620
Or the Hammond 1750E 8500 Ohm that fits 2x 6V6 Fender Deluxe 5E3 or the 1750H 6600 Ohm that fits 2x 6V6 Fender Deluxe '68?
What are the benefits of using a transformer that feeds 2x 6V6 at 6600 ohms instead of 8000 ohms?

Thank you
Franco
franco mezzalira
bepone

Post by bepone »

there is wide variety of loads which you can connect to one tube..depending of the screen voltage and class of operation....you have different harmonic spectrum and power output for the result...
Last edited by bepone on Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bepone

Post by bepone »

example for 6L6 pp, some load is optimum some not, 2H and 3H are changing all the time on the graph
Screenshot_20230207-153526.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Good example, bepone.
@jazzbass: bepone's example chart is representative of every pentode ( that is, like EL34s) or power beam tube (like 6L6) power tube in AB1. The facts to take away from this are
1: There is a very wide range of plate to plate loading that power tubes will work over. So it's not damaging to the tubes to substitute different output speaker loading.
2: There is a a minimum-distortion point. This is in general not at the same loading as the maximum power loading point.
3: Guitar amp makers tend to pick plate to plate loading that is closer to the maximum power point, while tube hifi amps were usually loaded to hit the minimum distortion point. Guitarists will tend to pick the highest power rating, and actually enjoy the slight added distortion as more "tone". Hifi people go nuts over the tiniest bit of higher distortion and don't care as much about absolute power.

So - transformer sellers will propose a wider range of tubes and loading to maximize the number of applications that one transformer can cover.
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Thanks Bepone and R.G.,

Everything is clearer to me but some questions remain. The first time I asked myself this question was when I built the first Traiwreck Expres. Then I wondered why Fischer had chosen a transformer with a primary impedance of 6,600 Ohm instead of 8,000 Ohm, which is equal to the Raa of the two EL 34s. Now the truth is closer. :D
The questions that still remain unanswered are: OK the choice of the OT as a function of the harmonic distortion/deliverable power/P-P resistance but how can I play this information to obtain a maximum power by acting on the Anode-Cathode voltage.
Let me explain: in the design phase, how which diagram will I use for a maximum power and harmonic distortion I want to obtain?
Which parameters, including the Ra-a resistance, vary as the power supplied varies?.

These are the questions that come to me now, certainly with your answers I will have others to submit to you .... be patient.... :wink:

A hug. Franco
franco mezzalira