New Project - Is Potato

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

johnnyreece

New Project - Is Potato

Post by johnnyreece »

So, I don't know if anyone here watches Stephen Colbert, but during the conflict in Ukraine, he's had several bits where the punchline is "...is potato." Here's a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf6pekk5CqU. Anyhow, in an effort to support Ukrainians directly, I ordered some Russian 6N2P and 6P1P tubes from Ukraine. It inspired me to build a spud-ish amp, which I will mockingly call "Is Potato". I don't have my schematic/layout done, but it will be based on a design I saw on the Squier Talk forum from a member called Old Crow. Got my transformers on order, and the chassis is just going to be a loaf pan. With so few components, I might just go PTP on this one.

The fun part is, I recently purchased a small tabletop CNC. I just made my first faceplate with it last night, and I think it turned out okay. The material is textured, and I don't really like that aspect, but the price was right.
Is Potato Faceplate.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guy77

Re: New Project - Is Potato

Post by Guy77 »

I like that faceplate, very cool!
I also recently got a tabletop cnc, its a Shapeoko 3XL. I have been using it to CNC wood for my head cabs.

What material are you using for the faceplates?

Cheers
Guy
xtian

Post by xtian »

I'll help with your marketing materials:
Potat time:

Man in yurt with wif and dottir.
nok on door.
man go to door, "who there?"
voice out of door say "is potat."
man cry for never before so happy, he and wif and dottir will not die malnourish.
man throw open door.
Is no potat.
only cold.
and sadness.
such is life.

nok nok
who there?
is potat!
*opens door*
is not potat. is politburo. man taken to gulag.
such is life.

man walk down road, see potat.
he pik up potat and cry of happy for man so hungry
man bite potat and shatter teeth.
man die malnourish.
such is life.

-Anony-mouse
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Guy77 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:59 pm I like that faceplate, very cool!
I also recently got a tabletop cnc, its a Shapeoko 3XL. I have been using it to CNC wood for my head cabs.

Cheers
Guy
Here's what I used for the plate. It's a variety pack that's cheap enough to screw up on (which I have, for sure): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0867 ... UTF8&psc=1

At the time I ordered, the stuff without texture didn't have free shipping, so I got this. As I type this, the smooth material is free shipping, and would likely do much better with small details. It also has a gold and silver option, which sounds kinda cool.
xtian wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:42 pm I'll help with your marketing materials:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Excellent!
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

LOL!!!!

The input is pure genius.
Just plug it in, man.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

ViperDoc wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:37 pm LOL!!!!

The input is pure genius.
Honestly, my wife thought of that. She *is* pretty sharp!
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

Cool :) Which brand tabletop CNC did you get? I’m kinda looking through the options these days…
Does the ‘t’ at the end of Borscht is intentional, since the literal transliteration should be without it.

Niki
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Synchu wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:49 pm Cool :) Which brand tabletop CNC did you get? I’m kinda looking through the options these days…
Does the ‘t’ at the end of Borscht is intentional, since the literal transliteration should be without it.

Niki
Thanks! This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DH ... UTF8&psc=1. Although, so many of them use the same stock photos, I think they're pretty much all from the same factory. I've not tried the laser yet, but the CNC has been fun. I did have to put my own spoilboard on and plane it down, as the original aluminum one wasn't flat. My first draft turned out much uglier because of that. Overall, I figure if I can get half a dozen faceplates out of it, it'll have paid for itself. Once it does, I may see about getting the expansion kit to make it a 30x40. Then I could do some more full size plates (like, 'Wreck sized).

I did leave the 't' on intentionally, but thanks for letting me know the literal translation. Learn something new everyday! Oh, and I realize that borscht is actually Ukranian by origin, but I was trying to think of the most cliche words I could. It was what came to mind. I know, I don't get points for accuracy!
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

johnnyreece wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:04 pm
Guy77 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:59 pm I like that faceplate, very cool!

Cheers
Guy
Here's what I used for the plate. It's a variety pack that's cheap enough to screw up on (which I have, for sure): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0867 ... UTF8&psc=1

At the time I ordered, the stuff without texture didn't have free shipping, so I got this. As I type this, the smooth material is free shipping, and would likely do much better with small details. It also has a gold and silver option, which sounds kinda cool.
xtian wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:42 pm I'll help with your marketing materials:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Excellent!

Thanks for the info Johnny. That machine looks like its a great deal. I may have to try some engraving with mine as well.
I currently have another company that cuts the Gravoply sheets that I purchase for them. You should check out the Gravoply catalogue they have a millon types of material to laser and cnc.
https://www.gravotech.com/products/mate ... oply-ultra

Cheers

Guy
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Thanks for the tip! I actually have a bit of that from my uncle, but I've yet to try it. It's white on black.

I did get a bit of time to myself, and I updated the schematic with a tilt control. Never used one before. If I hate it, I can simply make it treble.

Edit 5/26/22 - Found an error and updated schematic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by johnnyreece on Thu May 26, 2022 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I’m interested in your opinion of the tilt control.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Got the layout finished on this. Transformers should be arriving soon, so figured I'd better get on it. Feel free to let me know if you see any mistakes!

Edit: So, I received my transformers and realized that A. I underestimated the size of the transformers and B. I overestimated the size of my cake pan chassis, so I've modified the layout. I'll keep the other one up, just in case someone has a narrow chassis and wants to try this. I also changed it to reflect the parts I have on hand, rather than what was specified. If it all sounds good when I get it together, I'll update the schematic to reflect this, as well.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Well, after a busy summer, I found some time to work on this. Got the "chassis" punched, mostly. Realized my layout is upside-down, so I'll have to redo that, as well (again). I'm hoping it's not *too* cramped in there when I'm done. Either way, should be fun.

Edit: Layout added. Drawing a little more to scale really crams it in there...hopefully such a simple circuit won't suffer much from the close proximities.

Edit 2: Corrected a problem with the layout. Removed old one and added new.
Is Potato Reverse.pdf
Last edited by johnnyreece on Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

johnnyreece wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:13 pm Well, after a busy summer, I found some time to work on this. Got the "chassis" punched, mostly. Realized my layout is upside-down, so I'll have to redo that, as well (again). I'm hoping it's not *too* cramped in there when I'm done. Either way, should be fun.

Edit: Layout added. Drawing a little more to scale really crams it in there...hopefully such a simple circuit won't suffer much from the close proximities.
Oh man I have done that once too, made me so mad lol. It was on my Sluckey designed marshall dual. I had to put some kind of really ugly looking metal over the holes I punched on the wrong side lol.

Look forward to more detail on the finished amp.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Had a little time to work on this over the weekend thanks to the Packers game not being televised for us non-cable folk. Here's a shot before things started getting messy:
IMG_5654.jpg

As suspected, things got pretty crowded around the tube sockets, especially the preamp.
IMG_5655.jpg
Still need to wire the incoming power, speaker, and power tube cathode. Guess we'll see if it's a disaster shortly!