Primo 12AX7 Choices??

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

zozoe

Primo 12AX7 Choices??

Post by zozoe »

Greetings ~ ok, w/o me needing a 2nd mortgage, for the 1st input of my McIntosh MC30, what might be the most robust, quiet & reliable tubes out there? I have tons of all kinds for my amps, but this one needs to be special.... I don't care to go down that NOS road for a hundred or so bucks, but what's in the next tier down from 'there'?
Good listening ya'll 🎶 🕉🎵
Stevem

Re: Primo 12AX7 Choices??

Post by Stevem »

What are you listening to being played back in mono thru that amp?

If your combining stereo down to mono then the phase cancelation taking place will null out the best tubes you could possibly have anyway!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I would use 7025 or 5751.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Spax7 ?
zozoe

Post by zozoe »

Stevem wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:58 am What are you listening to being played back in mono thru that amp?

If your combining stereo down to mono then the phase cancelation taking place will null out the best tubes you could possibly have anyway!
Thnx, it's a mono amp being repurposed for a clean rig, Wow!!, I've never had a rig💘💘
zozoe

Post by zozoe »

Thnx all, Yes, I have a few NOS Mesa SPAX's lying around, & JJ's as well, 5751 might work into a 'real' guitar, but this Mac needs to be balls to the walls!! 100% gain....
wpaulvogel

Post by wpaulvogel »

RFT 12ax7’s are a little bit aggressive sounding if you’re going to push the preamp. Mullard I61 are my favorite for Marshall stuff. I don’t use current production preamp tubes.