Shipping costs going up?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dorrisant

Re: Shipping costs going up?

Post by dorrisant »

As far as CED, you can ask them to fold it up in order to put it in a smaller package that will ship for less. I put this in the notes before completing the order and they adjust the price before they actually charge you... This works with the other sister companies they run as well.
Also, when you need to ship something out, try https://www.pirateship.com/

A customer shipped an amp head to me for a little over $31 via UPS. I returned it to him for a little over $19.
Last edited by dorrisant on Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Masco

Post by Masco »

One diode from Mouser $0.49, shipping $7.99!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, something not right!
mhuss

Post by mhuss »

All of the parts distributors don't really have a method for shipping outside of their normal parcel/maybe large envelope method. You try shipping anything (even a grain of sand) for less in a box or large envelope. :roll:
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

Masco wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:35 pm One diode from Mouser $0.49, shipping $7.99!!!!!!!!!

mouser has been like this since i started ordering from them 15 years ago. just like most places it only makes sense when ordering enough stuff to fill the box (so order extras)
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I had to ship out a Pedal Baby today... 9lbs 15x11x6 box. Reverb wanted to give a discounted rate of $30+, used Pirate Ship and it cost a little over $16. Same shipper - UPS.

Just sayin'... get it where you can. :wink:
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Masco

Post by Masco »

thetragichero wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:31 pm
Masco wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:35 pm One diode from Mouser $0.49, shipping $7.99!!!!!!!!!

mouser has been like this since i started ordering from them 15 years ago. just like most places it only makes sense when ordering enough stuff to fill the box (so order extras)
Hasn’t been this much, maybe half the price. Been ordering from Mouser for over 35 years though…
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

$7.99 is the minimum shipping cost I'e seen for years.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

mhuss has it right. While some shippers do game the system and make "shipping" mean "cost of shipping plus whatever else we can get", I've never seen Mouser or other mainline distributors abuse it this way. Mouser has been at about $7 - $8 for a long time.
Priority mail has been flat rate at ... um... $5 - $8 for a long time. Mouser is offering something like that through UPS.
As mhuss notes, you can ship a (free) grain of sand and it will still cost you the minimum shipping cost.
I completely do not understand the issue with a $0.49 diode costing $8 to ship. Shipping an empty packet in the minimum sized box would still cost $8, largely because of UPS, not Mouser.
Scumback Speakers

Post by Scumback Speakers »

Shipping has gone up about 25% in the last six months. I shipped two speakers to Australia today, USPS calculator says $193 with $400 insured value. When I put in the label data, it came back with $202, plus a $14 surcharge to insure it for $400. you get $200 with USPS PM automatically, so that's a 7% surcharge for $200 worth of insurance. By the time it was all over, I undercharged the client $14 plus the 5.6% PayPal fees they charge to non USA clients.

Basically it was a surprise $15 plus extra.

I shipped two speakers to OZ for $153 at the end of last year.

Robbery, plain and simple.

Jim
Scumback - Guitar Speakers That Kick Ass!
http://youtu.be/u6U30BV2kFM
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
www.scumbackspeakers.com
https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Let's play Engineering Economics.

Shipping costs cannot long term be lower than the cost of the fuel to move the goods, plus the amortized capital cost of the vehicle, plus the labor involved.
That is, it costs some money to buy a truck (airplane, ship, horse and cart, packpack, etc.) to carry the goods, and it costs some money to pay the person/people operating the vehicle, and it costs some money to pay for the fuel to do the journey. There's other expenses on top of that, of course, but let's stay with the basic costs. Someone may give you a gift of transporting your goods for cheaper than the fuel, labor and apportioned vehicle costs, but they can't do that for long, as they are in effect shoveling money out of their bank account to pay for your shipping.

We just had a sudden increase in fuel cost, pretty much world wide. Unless a shipper increased their prices, they are shoveling money out and subsidizing your shipping.
Worse, the increase in energy (fuel) costs has started working its way into that supply chain thing. More expensive fuel means it costs more to transport truck parts to the truck factory, etc.; and it costs more to fuel the furnaces to make the metal/plastic/etc.
Think green-ness helps? It costs more to run the tractors to plant/cultivate/harvest the green goods to make stuff. Recycling? It costs more to fuel the grinders/sorters/melters/etc./etc. that do the recycling. An increase in basic fuel cost affects >>everything<<.
Think renewable energy will help? Have you looked at the cost to build, erect, maintain, and decommission a windmill? It's not clear that these costs are less than the "free" electricity produced.
Solar panels? Have you looked at the pay-out period for buying a solar panel setup, installing it, cleaning off the dust and crud, maintaining the panels, wiring and converters to have that electricity be usable, and the replacement costs? And the non-solar energy cost of making the panels, wires, fittings, converters and such, as well as the labor to install them. It's by no means clear that a solar panel installation will produce more electricity than the fuel costs it took to have it run until it wears out.

Engineering economics, said simply, defines money as the amount of (dollars, Euros, rubles, marks, yen, yuan, etc.) to buy the energy embodied in a gallon of gasoline or fuel oil. After that, you can have a reasonable discussion about how many watt-hours you really got for the watt-hours you spent to set it up.

Of course, business people are very close watchers of the market, and they know full well to never waste a perfectly good crisis. :D Any time something changes, it's likely that there will be an attempt to make you pay more. Humans (including owners of shipping companies) are like that.
Masco

Post by Masco »

dorrisant wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:36 pm $7.99 is the minimum shipping cost I'e seen for years.
You're probably right, it's been a really long time since I've needed a single part. I'm starting to geez...