Shipping costs going up?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rutledj

Shipping costs going up?

Post by rutledj »

I was just looking to order a piece of grill cloth from TubesAndMore. Grill cloth was $22.95 and the cheapest shipping to N.C. was $25.48 (UPS). I was originally going to get a reverb tank also but the shipping for both items was $44.54 (Priority Mail).

Guess I need to look more locally. Has anyone else noticed this increase?
Phil_S

Re: Shipping costs going up?

Post by Phil_S »

It seems out of line. I suggest calling on the phone so you can speak with another human being. Maybe something is wrong with their shipping calculator.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Not hard to see why when a dam sheet of 3/4" plywood is going for over 70 bucks!

National elections have repercussions now don't they?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
harleytech

Post by harleytech »

National elections have repercussions now don't they?

They sure will this time... I agree..
rutledj

Post by rutledj »

Just tried mojotone and ebay. both wanting $25 to ship a piece of grill cloth. Crazy.
bal704

Post by bal704 »

That seems crazy high. I'm getting ready to start a new combo build. I priced an aluminum grill from Reliable Hardware, and shipping was about $18.

And that can't be folded and put in an envelope like every piece of grill cloth I've ever bought....
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Just a reminder, keep politics out of it. I'll not delete or edit the posts yet, but if it strays too much farther into politics, posts will be edited or deleted.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Too bad your order with T & M was not closer to 100 bucks where they have free shipping.

You might think about doing what my buddy did when building a 2-12” cab last year.

He happened to be in a Salvation Army just browsing around and on the XXX size shirt rack was a perfect thin tan Denim shirt with no front pockets that he picked up for the sole purpose of using as grill cloth.

Cool idea I thought!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
rutledj

Post by rutledj »

I finally found a precut piece on ebay that was large enough for what I needed. $9 + $13 for shipping. Guess that is the best I can do.
bal704

Post by bal704 »

I've bought grill cloth from parts express previously. They have a flat rate shipping charge of less than $10, so that might be an option.
mhuss

Post by mhuss »

I've always found T&M/CE shipping prices to be on the high side. Now I guess they're even higher! :?
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

whenever i buy tolex i order 89 bucks worth of stuff from antique electronics supply instead of paying a bit less per item from ce because the shipping for something that long is expensive
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Those of us who endured the 1970s as adults have clear memories of what inflation does to everything.
Inflation amounts to a decrease in the value of money in general. Any business will increase its prices at least in proportion to the rise in the prices of everything they buy. Clever (read: MBA-infected) businesses will find ways to either look like they're not increasing their prices or not so much, or use the chaos to increase their take more than the inflation rate. I remember a real sneaky one. Up until the 1970s, ground coffee at the grocery store was universally sold in tin cans containing one pound, 16 ounces. Folgers hit on the idea that they would decrease the coffee weight in the "one pound" can with 13 ounces of coffee. When caught at this, they responded, and labeled their cans as "Now! Flaked Coffee! Makes as much as a full pound of ground coffee!"
Right. :shock:

Hiding down at the bottom of this mess is a huge increase in the cost of energy, which also happened in the 1970s. Engineering economics holds that you can define the value of a currency in terms of how many dollars, pounds, euros, rubles, etc. are needed to own the energy embodied in one gallon/liter/cubic foot/kilowatt-hour/ etc. of fuel supply. This hits the cost of driving the family car first, and then anything that depends on motor fuel, like shipping of all kinds, air travel/cargo, ocean shipments, and so on. Then the costs work through to the price of fuel for farm equipment, fertilizers, chemicals, and so on and food costs skyrocket. Pretty soon everyone starts demanding higher payments for their labor - salary, payment for contract labor, and so on. Then the businesses boost prices in response to higher labor costs. After a few cycles of this, you get ingrained inflation, as happened in the early 1980s. In 1989, my immediate manager had an 18% mortgage. The worst I ever had personally was 12%.

So are shipping costs going up? Yes, you betcha. You haven't seen the worst yet.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

The worst part is that all of the added "fuel surcharges" never go away, they just become the "norm"...
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Yeah.
Remember the first Ferengi Rule of Acquisition "Once you have their money, never give it back."