Next Build: Modded Blackface Vibrochamp

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

matoni

Next Build: Modded Blackface Vibrochamp

Post by matoni »

Hey all,
I have a couple of questions before I begin my next build. I plan to build a PCB like Ryan Colgan's PCB for the JM sig. I already emailed him, but if anyone has any recommendations on programs to use or part libraries, please send them my way. Next, this is the schematic I plan to use. I have added a one-tube reverb circuit I found on another forum. This brings up my first question: Where should I put the reverb? I was thinking after the second preamp tube, but I'm not sure if this will put it after the tremolo, as I am not yet the best at reading schematics. I will also post the reverb circuit I am planning on using below. Also, what voltages do I attach the C and D seen on the schematic? Finally, I want to use a diode rectifier, and everything I have seen on converting to a diode rectifier has confused me. What kind of diode rectifier do I need to use (standard, bridge, etc)? Do I need to change the power transformer to a different type, or am I fine with the one speced that I found on amplified parts? Im so excited to start this build. I think I am going to use a fender Princeton chasis from Mojotone. This is my first time designing PCBs (or turret boards if I decide to go that route) from scratch for an amp so I am excited to see how that goes. I will keep you posted with updates as the process further progresses, I just wanted to first make sure that everything I wanted was possinle. Thanks for all the help!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thetragichero

Re: Next Build: Modded Blackface Vibrochamp

Post by thetragichero »

kicad is pretty easy to learn
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
matoni

Post by matoni »

I already know how to use eagle. That’s what I think I’m going to use.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Look this over

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matoni

Post by matoni »

I like that, but a one tube reverb might be easier. I’m open to anything though. Thanks!!
matoni

Post by matoni »

What is the difference between the one and two tube reverbs? And can I add a dwell control on the front end like in the one tube option?
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

If you are going to bother to have reverb at all and want it to sound good then the input side of the pan needs a lot of current drive.

This is why Fenders and Ampegs and a few others have such great sounding reverb!

The Fender set up uses both sides of a 12AT7 in parallel to produce a big current drive, and the Ampegs use a big plate Octal 6SN7 tube.

I have never liked the sound of a reverb pan drivin by just one half of a 12AX7,period!

If I was to find I had to go that route to get reverb into a amp I would sooner use one of the SS brick type reverb effects that only need 5 volts from the power supply.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

What is the difference between the one and two tube reverbs? And can I add a dwell control on the front end like in the one tube option?
Did you count the number of 12Ax7's in the schematic I posted? :wink: If you used a one tube reverb, what will you do with the left over triode?

I usually prefer a one tube reverb. I don't use much reverb and it saves me a triode and accomplishes what I am aiming for.

I have two amps here at home with reverb. One has the Fenderish two tube reverb and the other is a one tube reverb using a 12DW7. I like them both. And the reality is that I them both set with about the same amount of reverb on each amp as I don't really care for alot of reverb in my tone.

Yes, you can add a dwell to the Fender two tube reverb.

with respect 10thtx
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

matoni wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:13 am What is the difference between the one and two tube reverbs? And can I add a dwell control on the front end like in the one tube option?
standard fender reverb uses three triodes plus a reverb transformer. it really is the way to go if you like really wet reverb in the amp but i tend to shy away from them mainly because while i can usually spare a triode. the extra transformer takes up space and extra dollars (unless someone has found a cheap source for em) that i may not have to spare. plus my fathom takes care of most of the reverb sounds i want anyway and it's right there controllable at my feet
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
matoni

Post by matoni »

Ok, I think I might just go for the 2 tube fender-type reverb. Could somebody let me know how I can put a dwell control in the 2 tube reverb, because I find that really helpful in crafting my sounds.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Replace the 1M on V2-2 with a 1M-A pot. Wire it exactly as shown on your 1 tube circuit.
matoni

Post by matoni »

Thanks so much!!! Now what do I do about the diode rectifier because I’m completely lost. If it’s not possible I can use a tube rectifier, but I like the quick reaction times of a diode rectifier better. Thanks for your help so far. I’m far enough now where I can begin to work on my PCB
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

matoni wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:00 pm Thanks so much!!! Now what do I do about the diode rectifier because I’m completely lost. If it’s not possible I can use a tube rectifier, but I like the quick reaction times of a diode rectifier better. Thanks for your help so far. I’m far enough now where I can begin to work on my PCB
The PT you choose will dictate which type of diode rectifier you must use.
matoni

Post by matoni »

I was thinking this type of pt https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products ... nder-120-v. How do I substitute a diode rectifier in for this. If you scroll down to the description you can see the specific model number for the Vibro champ. Thanks again for your help.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

matoni wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:23 pm I was thinking this type of pt https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products ... nder-120-v. How do I substitute a diode rectifier in for this. If you scroll down to the description you can see the specific model number for the Vibro champ. Thanks again for your help.
https://www.hammfg.com/files/parts/pdf/290AX.pdf

Put tape on the ends of both yellow wires. Put tape on the ends of both red/wht wires. Tuck these four wires out of the way. They are not used.

Connect the red/yel lead to ground. Connect one red lead to the anode of a 1N4007 diode. Connect the other red lead to the anode of a second 1N4007 diode. Twist the two diode cathode leads together and connect to the first filter cap.