Smallish "Jazz" amp build ideas.

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

thomj513

Smallish "Jazz" amp build ideas.

Post by thomj513 »

New member to this forum but not new to building tube audio products. I’m seeking input, suggestions, schematic ideas etc for building a smallish guitar amp for my personal use. A little background first. I started playing guitar in the mid 1960s, continued on through the 1970s and 1980s in cover bands, original prog/rock bands and “casual” solo guitar and duo gigs through the 1990s. During that time my day job was working for electronic parts distributors of one sort or another so I was able to get most of the parts I needed without any real problems. Most of the builds I did were for home audio, preamps and power amps of one sort or another. From 2000 to 2010 I had some health issues so I didn’t build much. Now, I’m thinking of building again. I’m looking for a simple single-ended amp voiced for a “jazz” guitar tone. No reverb, no tremolo, just straight ahead guitar amp. Thought about buying an old Polytone but there are issues with that make even though they sound great. Your thoughts etc would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, TJ.
martin manning

Re: Smallish "Jazz" amp build ideas.

Post by martin manning »

How big is smallish? 20W?
thomj513

Post by thomj513 »

5-10 watts. Thanks, TJ.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Even for just playing at home and with the mellow kinda bottom heavy tone used in jazz, I think output stage wise you would want 15 watts of clean powr.

Now 15 watts then means building with a 6550, KT88 or KT90, and a 15 watt single ended OT will cost some bucks so be prepared to open the wallet wide!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

There is this discussion going on right now, with this -5W Dumble (ish) preamp with single ended EL84 power stage getting props. That basic formula, Dumble preamp and SE power stage might suit you. A 6L6 would make near 10W.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 66#p439766
Last edited by martin manning on Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

A KT66 running single-ended sounds fantastic, especially when paired with a Two Rock sized 1x12 with ported back (elliptical opening about 30-50% of the panel area) and loaded with an EV12ML. Plenty of volume and plenty of low end. This requires a SE output transformer with a lot of mass, about the size of a 30W push-pull OT, not a piddly Champ-sized Playskool toy that most commercial single-ended amps seem to get stuck with.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Why the single ended approach? Is that to keep the wattage low?

If the reason is keeping lower watts, ................ how about a 6BM8 power section with LTPI for maybe 7-9 watts?

I'll toss out an idea for your consideration ................ I'm not suggesting that you "should" do this.

Use a Princeton non-reverb preamp with a 6BM8 power section. Only 7 watts.

I pretend to play jazz sorta and I use this amp "The HoSo56 Minimalist" for that and it does indeed have a relatively clean tone. https://soundclick.com/r/s8itqp
I used Edcor trannies for this amp. It's small in size similar to a Princeton Reverb perhaps.

The idea I am suggesting to consider would be even a cleaner tone that I think would be suitable for jazz. And the LTPI would give it less floor noise at idle in my expectations.

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Jazz amp to me means lots of clean tone. What smallish means is an open question because 5W will seem to be about half as loud as 50W. Is SE really what you want or were you thinking it's a way to get to reduced power? A pair of EL84 PP with the right preamp and PI would be very nice for 15W-ish clean tone. You will save a pile of money on the OT in a PP amp vs what you'll need for a SE amp. BTW, 15W is louder than some people imagine.
thomj513

Post by thomj513 »

Thanks folks. You've given me some interesting ideas to further explore and think about. I appreciate your input. TJ.
bepone

Post by bepone »

47k for all preamp anodes, 820R-1K in cathodes