Mercury Magnetics issues?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rutledj

Mercury Magnetics issues?

Post by rutledj »

I decided to breakdown and order a PT from them, not because of better tone, but because they offered a lower output xfmr for a Deluxe Reverb. My current one puts out too much voltage (470v). I ordered it 2 weeks ago. Got on email right after the order with an order number.. Click on that to get a status and it says invalid order. I gave them a call last week and they had the order and said they would call me back with the status, that it should be in stock. Crickets. Emailed again today and now answer.

Assumed they were a creditable business but now I'm beginning to wonder.
ijedouglas

Re: Mercury Magnetics issues?

Post by ijedouglas »

I have always had great service from MM but that was while Patrick (RIP) was still there. I stopped using them just before he passed as I found them a little too stiff for what I was doing.
Ian
blackguard

Post by blackguard »

I would give them some time. Everyone is slammed. Mojo can't keep their transformers in stock. Heyboer was doing stuff for ventilators two years ago I was told.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

I’ve had good service from Mercury.
Just plug it in, man.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

They have been advertising for help for quite a while now so they must be short handed.
I would give it another week!

Here's a interesting story that deals with customers who think they are entitled to instant help 24/7.

Last week our head of service person here at work was already done with the day's work and driving out to dinner with his wife.

Many times he takes service phone calls after work if he is not driving near dead cell phone zones since he has company calls forwarded to his personal cell phone.

So he takes a guys call as he is pulling up to a stop light and a Asshat behind him who has feel asleep plows into the rear of his car at 45 mph.
So he tells this guy on the phone he must call him back as a accident has taken place.

This guy after just 1 hour starts ranting and raving with emails to our company that no one has got back to him!

Now in this guy's email he states that while he was on the phone during the accident he heard the crash and my co-workers wife screaming in the back ground so he fully new something happened, yet was still extremely up set that no one got back to him!

Please don't be this guy!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Hammond 290BX, Deluxe Reverb replacement, about $90. Using that part the DR replica I built recently is running just under 400V with a 5U4.
rutledj

Post by rutledj »

Surprised you are under 400v with that Hammond. I looked at those but didn't buy it because it said the secondary put out 660v. That is not much less than my classic tone is putting out and I'm at 470v.

Understand that they might be slammed. Just had concern when my order number comes up as invalid on their website and I get no responses. I'll give it a while longer.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Mercury is a mess. I have stopped buying from them. If a customer wants Mercury, they can source it and pay for it.

I had a defective Deluxe output transformer I shipped back three times ! They insisted "it works fine", while a video I sent showing it made 5 watts and clipped super-early was ignored. Tacking in a substitute transformer showed the amp itself was fine.

They would not honor their "lifetime warranty' because it came from Amp Parts Direct (which makes no sense). They said the warrantee rested with APD, who told me to send it to Mercury for repair or replacement.

I told the guy who replaced Patrick, if I didn't get a proper working replacement, he's lost a customer, lost my good will, and I would make sure I told anyone who wanted to know, what kind of company they have become.

Never again.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

That's unfortunate, Andy. I've always had good service and support with them, but times are changing.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Just talked to Dave at Mercury the other day... He said he can hardly keep up with his inbox. He is working himself to a frazzle. Be patient, he will fulfill your order. Sometimes, I've ordered and it took two weeks to ship out even though they are in the shelf at the time of ordering. Dave is a good man and will get back to you when he can. I have emailed and got a response about a week later. You should expect this until they get more help.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Masco

Post by Masco »

Gave up on them like a decade ago for many reasons. Not listing full specs of their products online should be a warning sign.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I guess my workarounds are quick and painless... Never enough of an issue to worry about it.

For example, I run a quick impedance ratio test on any OT that I get with them. Then I scan and edit the datasheet that they send with all of their TXs. These are filed away for future use. I repeat a lot of builds so this comes in handy.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

dorrisant wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:40 pm...I run a quick impedance ratio test on any OT that I get with them. Then I scan and edit the datasheet that they send with all of their TXs. These are filed away for future use.
Is there any more detail on the included data sheet than you see in the ones they post on their site? That is a major pet peeve of mine.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Just the mA ratings and wiring color code.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

It's my understanding that Edcor will wind whatever you want. However, it may require you to furnish specs that may be unobtainium. Heyboer may also be a viable alternative. Just a couple of suggestions.