What do R and C stand for in schematics?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

thinkingchicken

What do R and C stand for in schematics?

Post by thinkingchicken »

Image below is some of the part of the preamp of Carvin Quad X.
IMG_20221009_171930.jpg
What are those in orange circles?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sluckey

Phil... Are you listening?

Post by sluckey »

thinkingchicken wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:12 am Image below is some of the part of the preamp of Carvin Quad X.

What are those in orange circles?
Ten Over

Re: What do R and C stand for in schematics?

Post by Ten Over »

I don't know about Carvin, but when I use notation like that, "R" denotes a resistor and "C" denotes a capacitor.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

R = resistor.
C = capacitor

I say this not to criticize you personally, but to give you the blunt facts. You do not understand electronics well enough to understand the answers you will get. Without even a minimal education in electronic, you will not learn from the answers. These questions and answers will frustrate you and irritates the other members. Please go get some basic electronics training. Otherwise, you will not understand even clear, correct, well-intentioned answers.

Sadly, the nature of this question is moving me back to thinkng you're a bot, not a real person.

Sigh.
LOUDthud

Post by LOUDthud »

I had suspected that Mr.Chicken didn't have a clue about reading schematics.
thinkingchicken

R.G. wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:20 am R = resistor.
C = capacitor

I say this not to criticize you personally, but to give you the blunt facts. You do not understand electronics well enough to understand the answers you will get. Without even a minimal education in electronic, you will not learn from the answers. These questions and answers will frustrate you and irritates the other members. Please go get some basic electronics training. Otherwise, you will not understand even clear, correct, well-intentioned answers.

Sadly, the nature of this question is moving me back to thinkng you're a bot, not a real person.

Sigh.
LOUDthud wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:18 am I had suspected that Mr.Chicken didn't have a clue about reading schematics.
My question is simply asking what those R and C stand for, simple answer like "Those are Resistors and Capacitors" is already good enough... :roll:

I'm asking because I want to calculate those values with the available calculators at AmpBooks.com. Also, I learned it myself how to calculate those values hence these questions. Thanks for the answer though.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Do you yet fully understand how the power supply works that would be needed to power that or any gain stage / power amp circuit?

I ask because that would be the place to start in terms of educating yourself before you even think about understanding a circuit, no less possibly modding a circuit for tone and or gain changes.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
thinkingchicken

Stevem wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:21 am Do you yet fully understand how the power supply works that would be needed to power that or any gain stage / power amp circuit?

I ask because that would be the place to start in terms of educating yourself before you even think about understanding a circuit, no less possibly modding a circuit for tone and or gain changes.
I just want to calculate the gain of each stages in Carvin Quad X's channel 4 by using Preamp Gain and Output Impedance calculator https://www.ampbooks.com/mobile/amplifi ... alculator/. I don't know how to find the value of power supply because Carvin Quad X is a standalone preamp without a poweramp.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

thinkingchicken wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:07 pm I just want to calculate the gain of each stages in Carvin Quad X's channel 4 by using Preamp Gain and Output Impedance calculator https://www.ampbooks.com/mobile/amplifi ... alculator/. I don't know how to find the value of power supply because Carvin Quad X is a standalone preamp without a poweramp.
You're having a Dunning-Kruger attack. You don't know what you don't yet know.

I just want to design an Alcubierre faster-than-light spaceship drive. But I don't go pester the spaceship forums with questions about it because I know that I don't know enough to ask meaningful questions.

I get that you ...just... want to calculate the gains of this thing. Then you will want to compare the gains to that thing. Then you will want to know why they are different. Then ... this just goes on because you don't yet know the next fundamentally simple fact that you don't know. And you don't know that it will take you a very, very long time to discover these things in a piece-at-a-time way, asking them on forums.

For instance: the answer to the question you're currently asking is that the exact power supply voltage in the Quad X doesn't matter much. Pick a likely voltage from some other preamp, like maybe a Fender. Oh. You don't know what a common power supply voltage for a preamp stage in another amp is. Well, it is different from stage to stage within a preamp. I suspect that you will then wonder what voltage ought to go for which stage. Ooops. Well, then, you wonder, what is the allowable range for a triode preamp stage? Ooops.

Then there's the whole issue of online calculators. What online calculators do, fundamentally, is to hide the knowledge underlying the production of the answer. People who don't already know what that underlying knowledge is get only a number. They don't know whether the number makes sense or not (calculators will happily produce wrong answers if you don't know what numbers to feed them :shock: ) and so, worse than not knowing the answer before using the calculator, you now "know" a wrong answer and you will have to un-learn that wrong answer if you ever find the correct answer.

I know that you're frustrated with this. You just want the people who know to tell you the answer and not get irritated with you, then to do it again and again and again and again without ever developing the knowledge yourself. But you have already wasted nearly as much time asking questions in forums as you would have in searching for "basic electronics tutorial" "basic vacuum tube circuits" "how tube amplifiers work", and so on.

By the way, just stick in 250V for the power supply voltage.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I don't think he's frustrated at all. I think it pleases him that YOU are frustrated.
thinkingchicken

R.G. wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:15 pm
thinkingchicken wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:07 pm I just want to calculate the gain of each stages in Carvin Quad X's channel 4 by using Preamp Gain and Output Impedance calculator https://www.ampbooks.com/mobile/amplifi ... alculator/. I don't know how to find the value of power supply because Carvin Quad X is a standalone preamp without a poweramp.
You're having a Dunning-Kruger attack. You don't know what you don't yet know.

I just want to design an Alcubierre faster-than-light spaceship drive. But I don't go pester the spaceship forums with questions about it because I know that I don't know enough to ask meaningful questions.

I get that you ...just... want to calculate the gains of this thing. Then you will want to compare the gains to that thing. Then you will want to know why they are different. Then ... this just goes on because you don't yet know the next fundamentally simple fact that you don't know. And you don't know that it will take you a very, very long time to discover these things in a piece-at-a-time way, asking them on forums.

For instance: the answer to the question you're currently asking is that the exact power supply voltage in the Quad X doesn't matter much. Pick a likely voltage from some other preamp, like maybe a Fender. Oh. You don't know what a common power supply voltage for a preamp stage in another amp is. Well, it is different from stage to stage within a preamp. I suspect that you will then wonder what voltage ought to go for which stage. Ooops. Well, then, you wonder, what is the allowable range for a triode preamp stage? Ooops.

Then there's the whole issue of online calculators. What online calculators do, fundamentally, is to hide the knowledge underlying the production of the answer. People who don't already know what that underlying knowledge is get only a number. They don't know whether the number makes sense or not (calculators will happily produce wrong answers if you don't know what numbers to feed them :shock: ) and so, worse than not knowing the answer before using the calculator, you now "know" a wrong answer and you will have to un-learn that wrong answer if you ever find the correct answer.

I know that you're frustrated with this. You just want the people who know to tell you the answer and not get irritated with you, then to do it again and again and again and again without ever developing the knowledge yourself. But you have already wasted nearly as much time asking questions in forums as you would have in searching for "basic electronics tutorial" "basic vacuum tube circuits" "how tube amplifiers work", and so on.

By the way, just stick in 250V for the power supply voltage.
"Dunning Kruger attack" In which part I claimed to know everything? :?: :) if I already understand everything, this question will not be here and I'm not gonna make an account in this forum to ask questions. I get your point that every amps have their own differences and similarities. The allowable range for a triode preamp stage can be seen on those datasheets, is that correct? Not sure because I haven't look into it.

I didn't try to get the 100% exact answer of how much gain do Carvin Quad X have in the highest channel as I didn't own one yet. I'm just trying to get the approximate gain.

"By the way, just stick in 250V for the power supply voltage."

Thanks for that suggestion. :D
Last edited by thinkingchicken on Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thinkingchicken

sluckey wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:51 pm I don't think he's frustrated at all. I think it pleases him that YOU are frustrated.
Nice judgment you have there, lad. :mrgreen:
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

thinkingchicken wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:19 pm
sluckey wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:51 pm I don't think he's frustrated at all. I think it pleases him that YOU are frustrated.
TL;DR: You need to understand why you're not "fitting in with this forum's concepts"

First I'm the forum Admin and Moderator and tasked with keeping the forums 'on task' if you will.

I don't disagree with sluckey. I'll first maybe give you an explanation of how forums work in general, and then describe how THIS forum is setup, and then maybe you can understand what's possibly becoming frustrating for people.

Forum etiquette has been something pretty clearly defined on all forums for a long time. Keep on the point, with as few derails as possible, and stick to the forums general 'theme' . There is a lot more than that, but it's at least a guiding principle of most forums.

Let me define the point of THIS forum. It is a guitar tube amp builders space to learn about building tube guitar amplifiers. Generically is okay, but more specifically around some of the higher gain types of amps like Trainwreck and Dumble amplifiers. That's not a hard limit, but the more common 'focus' of this forum. Although many here are certainly fine teaching the 'basics' of amp building, it's not a 'teach me the basics of electronics' forum. There are MANY of those out there. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube that will show you the basics like 'how to read a schematic' or 'what does an R or C stand for in schematics'

I'm not saying nobody here can answer these questions, in fact they keep trying to help you answer your questions, but due to your lack of basic understanding of electronics, you keep missing the point and asking more questions showing you've missed the point. This post and question really does not belong here. Anyone on the forum can answer it in a few seconds, but it's not the point of the forum.

I'd like to kindly ask that you go learn electronics, and even tube basics as well, before coming back here to ask these kinds of questions as it moves the 'discussion' focus of the forum away from it's goals.

I'll add that Sluckey is an outstanding teacher, and knows a TON about electronics and has taught me a LOT. On the other hand I came to this and other forums already knowing the basics of what was 'expected' before asking questions. Don't' get me wrong, I've asked some simplistic, silly questions in my time, but I always tried understanding and reading on my own before consulting the gurus.

So far I've only seen threads from you that could be categorized in one of three ways.

1. trolling (you deny this repeatedly, so it's possible that's not the case, in which case you likely would fall into the second below.)
2. Not knowledgeable enough about tube amplifiers to even ask the right starting questions. If so, please spend time learning a LOT more about electronics on places focused on that, and then come back here to learn about building tube amplifiers.
3. Not proficient with the language (either english or the amp building terms) to correctly explain what it is exactly you know in your head, but aren't relating correctly. In which case I suggest trying to learn more about the definitions of these terms on again, a learning site or video or forum for those specific areas. As with any knowledge gained, it requires starting at the easier concepts and working your way towards more complex ones. Instead you're jumping to the end.

Basically, you're spending a huge amount of 'forum space' on topics that don't really fit exactly. Please prepare yourself accordingly and then we'd welcome more 'appropriate' discussion around these things.

Hope that doesn't sound too diminutive or rude, I'm trying to get the forum discussion back towards it's goals instead of the longer side tracks we've seen.

Thanks,

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
thinkingchicken

pompeiisneaks wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:06 pm
thinkingchicken wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:19 pm
TL;DR: You need to understand why you're not "fitting in with this forum's concepts"

First I'm the forum Admin and Moderator and tasked with keeping the forums 'on task' if you will.

I don't disagree with sluckey. I'll first maybe give you an explanation of how forums work in general, and then describe how THIS forum is setup, and then maybe you can understand what's possibly becoming frustrating for people.

Forum etiquette has been something pretty clearly defined on all forums for a long time. Keep on the point, with as few derails as possible, and stick to the forums general 'theme' . There is a lot more than that, but it's at least a guiding principle of most forums.

Let me define the point of THIS forum. It is a guitar tube amp builders space to learn about building tube guitar amplifiers. Generically is okay, but more specifically around some of the higher gain types of amps like Trainwreck and Dumble amplifiers. That's not a hard limit, but the more common 'focus' of this forum. Although many here are certainly fine teaching the 'basics' of amp building, it's not a 'teach me the basics of electronics' forum. There are MANY of those out there. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube that will show you the basics like 'how to read a schematic' or 'what does an R or C stand for in schematics'

I'm not saying nobody here can answer these questions, in fact they keep trying to help you answer your questions, but due to your lack of basic understanding of electronics, you keep missing the point and asking more questions showing you've missed the point. This post and question really does not belong here. Anyone on the forum can answer it in a few seconds, but it's not the point of the forum.

I'd like to kindly ask that you go learn electronics, and even tube basics as well, before coming back here to ask these kinds of questions as it moves the 'discussion' focus of the forum away from it's goals.

I'll add that Sluckey is an outstanding teacher, and knows a TON about electronics and has taught me a LOT. On the other hand I came to this and other forums already knowing the basics of what was 'expected' before asking questions. Don't' get me wrong, I've asked some simplistic, silly questions in my time, but I always tried understanding and reading on my own before consulting the gurus.

So far I've only seen threads from you that could be categorized in one of three ways.

1. trolling (you deny this repeatedly, so it's possible that's not the case, in which case you likely would fall into the second below.)
2. Not knowledgeable enough about tube amplifiers to even ask the right starting questions. If so, please spend time learning a LOT more about electronics on places focused on that, and then come back here to learn about building tube amplifiers.
3. Not proficient with the language (either english or the amp building terms) to correctly explain what it is exactly you know in your head, but aren't relating correctly. In which case I suggest trying to learn more about the definitions of these terms on again, a learning site or video or forum for those specific areas. As with any knowledge gained, it requires starting at the easier concepts and working your way towards more complex ones. Instead you're jumping to the end.

Basically, you're spending a huge amount of 'forum space' on topics that don't really fit exactly. Please prepare yourself accordingly and then we'd welcome more 'appropriate' discussion around these things.

Hope that doesn't sound too diminutive or rude, I'm trying to get the forum discussion back towards it's goals instead of the longer side tracks we've seen.

Thanks,

~Phil
Asking "what are those R and C" is not trolling. I'm genuinely curious what are those until someone simply told me "those are resistors and capacitors". Then, I started to go to these sites where you'll learn a bit about electronics such as AmpBooks.com.

That's the question, "what are those R and C" and people already answered it. Fine, now I'll just go calculate these values on the schematic with the available calculators on AmpBooks.com. That's it. Anymore questions after this, I'll think twice whether I want to ask questions here because apparently some people can be offended by questions so I think there are other suitable forums out there.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Why do you need an amp calculator? By simple inspection approximate gain is 20x, 10x and 66x (won't happen), you figure the attenuation and shelving frequencies...

But what for? Me thinks this preamp is one of the worst sounding ever, absolutely no soul.

I'll take "Let's help write a uni paper for $600 Alex"