What do R and C stand for in schematics?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

thinkingchicken

Re: What do R and C stand for in schematics?

Post by thinkingchicken »

John_P_WI wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:33 pm Why do you need an amp calculator? By simple inspection approximate gain is 20x, 10x and 66x (won't happen), you figure the attenuation and shelving frequencies...

But what for? Me thinks this preamp is one of the worst sounding ever, absolutely no soul.

I'll take "Let's help write a uni paper for $600 Alex"
"Why do you need an amp calculator? By simple inspection approximate gain is 20x, 10x and 66x (won't happen), you figure the attenuation and shelving frequencies..."

I don't know the formula so I use the calculators on AmpBooks.com.

"But what for? Me thinks this preamp is one of the worst sounding ever, absolutely no soul.

I'll take "Let's help write a uni paper for $600 Alex"

To each his own, sir. :)
thinkingchicken

Post by thinkingchicken »

So, this is what I found.

I managed to count the gain with https://www.ampbooks.com/mobile/amplifi ... alculator/ where the calculator calculates a triode amplifier's unloaded voltage gain (the gain without being connected to the next stage) and output impedance based on the triode's characteristics, resistor values, and whether or not the cathode resistor is fully bypassed by a capacitor CK, from all of the eleven individual stages starting from the first stage to the last. It is 31+18+23+18+23+18+23+18+23+18+30=243 dB. So, the max dB gain is 243 dB. Is that accurate? I even tried to include in my calculations all those attenuators, coupling capacitors, etc. but I'm not really sure if my calculations are correct. If it is correct, then this is one of the preamp that I know have the highest dB gain to date.

The image below is the schematic of the channel four which is the highest gain channel of Carvin Quad X.
Carvin-Quad-X-Amp-chain.gif
The video below is one of these demos of Carvin Quad X. He increased the drive, or gain, to the max at the timestamp 18:00. And it actually sounds like Metal Zone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

I can not express this enough, buy a breadboard, a handful of Rs and Cs, a few jfets, 9v battery, a cheap oscilloscope and signal generator. You'll learn more for a few hundred dollar investment than you will asking questions. What's your time worth? Put in the effort to visualize it instead of waiting for the answer...

Oh, and maybe a diode or two, ya, you'll get all of the hard clipping you could want.

Here is an example of my stomp box days from a long time ago, seriously, it applies.

One other comment, with your infatuation of gain, noise is amplified too, trust me - less gain built smartly is best.

Oh, and if you want a brutal amp, learn about power supplies, power amps and the term "slew rate". Make that thing hit like an iron pipe...

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I'm locking this topic and at this point locking your account. Since I took quite some time to explain how we feel in the forums and your response was an indifferent 'whatever', it's clear you're not trying to be a positive member of the forums, just take what you and and/or have fun egging people into pointless debates as a troll. Either way, no thanks. I've seen the frustration of forum members and had your post reported for spamminess twice already, so at this point, niceties are pretty much over, sorry.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!