Kt150 in a Univalve?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

galtjunk

Kt150 in a Univalve?

Post by galtjunk »

Can I use a KT150 in a Univalve without damaging either the tube or the amp?
Stevem

Re: Kt150 in a Univalve?

Post by Stevem »

Maybe.
I kt88 which I think you can run in that amp needs 1.65 amps to power its heater, a kt150 is said to need 1.7 to 2 amps of heater amperage.

I don't know if the power transformer has enough reserve current to do that .

You should contact univalve to find out the details before you blow the bucks on a KT150.

One thing you need to note about this amp is that stuffing in output tubes rated for more wattage, that once you get bigger then a 6L6 type tube with its rating of 30 watts your not going to get any more volume out of this amp, the only thing you will get is more clean sound before the output tube starts to distort.

With this amp I see no need to go larger then a 7027A, 6550 or a kt88, but hey it's your money!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
galtjunk

Post by galtjunk »

I already have a quad of KT150s.
I am building a class A hifi amp but I won't have the transformers for another 4 to six weeks.
I would like to use the Univalve to see if the tubes are functional before my return window expires.
I won't be running them very hard.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

You should have stated that info and your amp building abilities also in your first post then because that's a bit of a different story then.

Pop in a kt150 and check to see the that heater voltage does not drop down below 6 volts as seen across pins 2 and 7 .

If it does not then your good to leave them in , on the other hand if you find the heater voltage goes below 6 volts then I would not run the amp like that for more then 2 minutes because you will be overheating that filament winding .
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
galtjunk

Post by galtjunk »

I will do that.

Thanks