Rocket build

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dvbme

Rocket build

Post by dvbme »

Hello, So I'm a new builder started November of 22. I went with Pacific Transformers PAM-PT-30-54R, PAM-OT-30-54R and am stumped at the rectifier. Specifically 2 and 8 should have 5v wires with what I've been seeing and there's none on the PT. What am i missing?
joeboo88

Re: Rocket build

Post by joeboo88 »

I just looked at you PT specs At the Pacific websites and this PT does not have a 5volt tap.
You would have to use SS rectification. Rocket amps have a tube rectifier.
Your OT has a 7.5k primary. Rockets typically use a 4k primary
I imagine your transformer set is more suited to a Liverpool.
I guess you have some decisions to make
Good luck, Joe
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

You could add a 5v filament transformer.
johnny riff

Post by johnny riff »

try a 6v6 qaud.
dvbme

Post by dvbme »

I wanted to go with what was on the BOM but is out of stock. It says to use a 5.2 ohm primary. I want to stay in spec but am open to suggestion. I think selling and rebuying the pair given that it's the last two items i need seems the safest bet. wwyd?
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Rockets use a 4k3 OT, and the sound changes with 5k2. You'll find a lot of discussion about Rocket transformers on this site; that could be very helpful to you. The Rocket transformer was based on the 4k3 Dynaco A470, but deletes the ultralinear taps.

You can use a larger OT with correct impedance for different tubes, such as 6V6, 6L6, 5881, etc., but again - the sound does change. I built a 5881-tubed version using the last big iron transformer from Toneslut. It sounds great, and very much like a Rocket but with different tonal balance. That build also included a larger power transformer.
dvbme

Post by dvbme »

So I'm going for a a470-s from triode and it seems I'm going to email Heyboer about the HTS-9144.
dvbme

Post by dvbme »

Well seeing now that I'd have to be in on a group buy in order to get a Heyboer I'm entertaining the idea of using a Hammond 5v filament transformer. Which part number am i looking for and how would i wire it with the PAM-PT?
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

dvbme wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:22 pm Well seeing now that I'd have to be in on a group buy in order to get a Heyboer I'm entertaining the idea of using a Hammond 5v filament transformer. Which part number am i looking for and how would i wire it with the PAM-PT?
You can order directly from Heyboer. Also, be warned that Triode has burned people before. Do a search on this site for the history.
dvbme

Post by dvbme »

I sent an email to heyboer and got no response. I'm not finding results on triode do they not ship or ship wrong item?
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Suggest you keep trying Heyboer. No doubt they are still barely managing to keep up with demand. I've had to send 2-3 emails before a response in the past, even before COVID-19.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

gktamps wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:54 pm Suggest you keep trying Heyboer. No doubt they are still barely managing to keep up with demand. I've had to send 2-3 emails before a response in the past, even before COVID-19.
I agree. Continue to email them and/or call them. Ask for Phil. Nice people.
dvbme

Post by dvbme »

Triode say's it's shipped due on Monday. Emailed a second time to Hey. Saved number to call on Monday unless they might be there today (Saturday)
dvbme

Post by dvbme »

Triode delivered the a-470-s It was packed very well. Heyboer replied and is sending an invoice with a 6 week time frame.
dvbme

Post by dvbme »

The HTS-9144 arrived today and can't find the schematic online. I'm assuming from memory that I'm using the yellows that are 250v to 5 and 7 and put 4007's to 4 and 6 and that i should tuck the yellow green into the bell cap. Grays to 2 and 8. the browns to power tubes. Please forgive me in the summer i work 14 hours a day and don't have but an hour in the morning to read.