Clean preamp circuit with bright input stage?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mr. Lime

Clean preamp circuit with bright input stage?

Post by Mr. Lime »

Hi guys,

I'm currently planning to replace the circuit of my 3 channel 19" preamp with a new circuit.
The Crunch and Lead channels are already defined and share a 150k / 1k5, 470n input stage together with the clean channel.
I wanted to ask you guys if someone has good experience with a 2 stage clean preamp with a similar input stage?

In the Komet K60 circuit I once tried, I found a tone stack after a bright input stage rather ineffective.
Maybe it's a good idea to put the EQ after the second stage but I'm not aware of amps that have that topology.

Does someone know a good example or can suggest a good sounding circuit?
mhuss

Re: Clean preamp circuit with bright input stage?

Post by mhuss »

You could try an early Hiwatt pre, the tone stack is different than the traditional F/M ones. https://hiwatt.org/Schematics/DR_Pre4Input_v1a.pdf
Mr. Lime

Post by Mr. Lime »

Thanks for the suggestion.

The Hiwatt could be a an interestig circuit.
GT Soul-O clean channel is another candidate but has the tone stack after the first stage and I can imagine it would be too bright for me.

I have seen simulations of the Hiwatt EQ but never used it before. I usually tend to prefer the James stack over the regular FMV stack.
Roe

Post by Roe »

Mr. Lime wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:03 pm Hi guys,

I'm currently planning to replace the circuit of my 3 channel 19" preamp with a new circuit.
The Crunch and Lead channels are already defined and share a 150k / 1k5, 470n input stage together with the clean channel.
I wanted to ask you guys if someone has good experience with a 2 stage clean preamp with a similar input stage?

In the Komet K60 circuit I once tried, I found a tone stack after a bright input stage rather ineffective.
Maybe it's a good idea to put the EQ after the second stage but I'm not aware of amps that have that topology.

Does someone know a good example or can suggest a good sounding circuit?
try an ac30 top boost preamp.
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Mr. Lime

Post by Mr. Lime »

The Vox Top Boost circuit has a fully bypassed cathode resistor on the input stage.
I would need a clean channel with a 470n bypass cap instead of 22u.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Change your thinking for a minute. I make a Fender circuit with a stage previous to stock stages. It can be lots of configurations with their own special features. It is used to condense the response range I am looking for.

I use dual gain controls <---- I think this might be what you need.

I think what you are saying is your clean channel is the first stage for both other channels and you want the clean to be bolder.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Mr. Lime wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:17 pm The Vox Top Boost circuit has a fully bypassed cathode resistor on the input stage.
I would need a clean channel with a 470n bypass cap instead of 22u.
No you don't. You need smaller bypass to adjust outcome on 1st stage of the preamp. No?

These circuits are only topology. The values are only important to the outcome.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.