Full wave vs full wave bridge rectifier?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lightfoot

Re: Full wave vs full wave bridge rectifier?

Post by lightfoot »

sluckey wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:34 pm
lightfoot wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:09 pm Here’s an image of the Blues Deluxe rectifier because this is the transformer that I’m using although unlike the image it’s currently in a full wave bridge configuration
That image is a full wave bridge. May not be drawn the way you would like to see it but it is a FWB.
Because I’m trying to understand why one design would be favored over the other given the same power transformer. It could very well be designers choice and more of a coin toss with no advantage or disadvantage one way or the other though.
Designers choice. FWB cannot be used with any economically available tube rectifier. FWB requires only half as much AC voltage (less copper) to produce the same voltage as a center tapped conventional full wave rectifier circuit. The FWB circuit uses the entire secondary voltage all the time, whereas the conventional rectifier with CT only uses half the secondary winding at any given time. Some may consider these characteristics as an advantage.

Regardless of which type rectifier is used, you will never see an artificial center tap used with a FWB rectifier circuit.
OK got it. One thing I didn’t point out is that I’m using a solid-state rectifier because the power transformer in question doesn’t have a 5 V winding. I’m just uncertain as to whether or not I should leave the rectifier as I have it installed now or if I should go back to the rectifier configuration that fender had originally intended for that transformer. When I get a chance I’ll post an image of the current rectifier configuration to clear up any uncertainty. Thanks
lightfoot

Post by lightfoot »

Here’s the current configuration as it is now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

lightfoot wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:42 pm Here’s the current configuration as it is now.
That’s a full wave bridge, same as Fender use, except you’re doubling up each diode.

As the winding has no centre tap, you have no alternative full wave arrangement possible.
lightfoot

Post by lightfoot »

pdf64 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:51 pm
lightfoot wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:42 pm Here’s the current configuration as it is now.
That’s a full wave bridge, same as Fender use, except you’re doubling up each diode.

As the winding has no centre tap, you have no alternative full wave arrangement possible.
So it sounds like I’m not hurting anything with the current configuration?

It’s just odd that fender doesn’t really use this configuration on hardly any of their current production amplifiers. Again if you reference the schematic for the blues deluxe they have a different configuration.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

lightfoot wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:14 pmBecause I’m trying to understand why one design would be favored over the other given the same power transformer.
This is a non sequitur. Given a DC voltage requirement, a power transformer is configured for use as either a FW (with grounded CT) or FWB (without a grounded CT). Both are full-wave rectifiers.
Last edited by martin manning on Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

lightfoot wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:33 pm … When I say artificial center tap what I really mean is the ground reference of the bridge portion of the rectifier…
Additionally based upon image search is that I’ve done of rectifier configurations the one in the schematic was referred to as a full wave rectifier rather than a full wave bridge.
Have a read of http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/bridge.html
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

lightfoot wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:38 pm I’m just uncertain as to whether or not I should leave the rectifier as I have it installed now or if I should go back to the rectifier configuration that fender had originally intended for that transformer.
Hello. Is there anybody in there?

Your circuit ***AND*** the Fender circuit are both FWB circuits. No need to use 8 diodes in your circuit with that Fender PT if you use 1000Vpiv diodes such as 1N4007.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

lightfoot wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:52 pm … if you reference the schematic for the blues deluxe they have a different configuration.
https://el34world.com/charts/Schematics ... eville.pdf
Diodes CR14-17 form a full wave bridge rectifier.

Your rectifier of https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 55#p451855

https://ampgarage.com/forum/download/fi ... &mode=view

is a full wave bridge.
lightfoot

Post by lightfoot »

sluckey wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:59 pm
lightfoot wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:38 pm I’m just uncertain as to whether or not I should leave the rectifier as I have it installed now or if I should go back to the rectifier configuration that fender had originally intended for that transformer.
Hello. Is there anybody in there?

Your circuit ***AND*** the Fender circuit are both FWB circuits. No need to use 8 diodes in your circuit with that Fender PT if you use 1000Vpiv diodes such as 1N4007.
I’m not trying to get into a debate about Termanology but rather I’m trying to ensure that my current configuration is safe for the power transformer.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

So you don't want to learn the terminology but you want someone to tell you if it's safe/appropriate.
What's wrong with learning something you need to know? And why push back against people trying to help you?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

lightfoot wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:02 pmI’m not trying to get into a debate about Termanology but rather I’m trying to ensure that my current configuration is safe for the power transformer.
It's the same circuit, so yes. If you use incorrect terminology you can't expect to get correct advice.
lightfoot

Post by lightfoot »

gktamps wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:05 pm So you don't want to learn the terminology but you want someone to tell you if it's safe/appropriate.
What's wrong with learning something you need to know? And why push back against people trying to help you?
I don’t have an issue conceding to the point that my Terminology is incorrect but it was based upon the best information I could get at the time. But my primary concern was the longevity of the power transformer first and foremost.
Last edited by lightfoot on Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Well you now have all of the information you need, now that we all understand what you initially were asking.
Forums are a great place to get help, support, ideas, and learn new things. But you also need to be willing to do some reading on your own, particularly when others provide you with valuable links to information that you are asking for.
A good understanding of rectification is necessary for working on guitar amps. Knowledge is power.
lightfoot

Post by lightfoot »

gktamps wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:14 pm Well you now have all of the information you need, now that we all understand what you initially were asking.
Forums are a great place to get help, support, ideas, and learn new things. But you also need to be willing to do some reading on your own, particularly when others provide you with valuable links to information that you are asking for.
A good understanding of rectification is necessary for working on guitar amps. Knowledge is power.
I did in fact do some research prior to making this post I’ll provide a link to the article that I used as my initial source. If you scroll down the rectifier that is shown in the blues deluxe schematic was simply referred to as a full wave rectifier and not a full wave bridge rectifier in the provided article. Patience among members will be greatly appreciated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectifier
lightfoot

Post by lightfoot »

The other point might be worth mentioning is that the wiki article that I posted a link to was the only article that I could find with a clear illustration of fenders original rectifier circuit. Now we all know that Wikipedia isn’t the most reliable source of information but unfortunately it was the only one that I could find with that exact diagram.

Also, please don’t mistake my response for push-back against the contribution of the members here. I would just like to ask that you guys appreciate the fact that the termanology that you have been using to refer to this configuration did not match the only source material that I had at my disposal prior to this post.