Common Mode DC Power Filter

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gmm20

Common Mode DC Power Filter

Post by gmm20 »

https://youtu.be/-HHfrJvo3aU

this circuit null the A/C ripple voltage, but also acts as a passive voltage regulator. Bear in mind, this is all done with injecting an error correction signal, into the back end of the DC rectifier. Since there are no active devices, no transistors, no "IC linear regulators", this approach does not generate any of the waste heat, compared to it's active counter parts.....
Now begs the question , would I use this filter inside my own amplifier builds ? All good questions , given Surface Amplifier already has A/C ripple rejection, as a side effect of using a vacuum tube for it's input Dynamic Load SRPP gain stage. An effect few class A amplifiers can achieve, due to the air gap inside a vacuum tube , mostly......
dorrisant

Re: Common Mode DC Power Filter

Post by dorrisant »

Can you post a schematic of this circuit?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
gmm20

Post by gmm20 »

..... and allow MerlinB to have it ?
I don't think so.
Maybe as a PM.

-g
bepone

Post by bepone »

then, what we are commenting here? immagination? numbers on multimeter? :P
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

gmm20 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:34 pm ..... and allow MerlinB to have it ?
I don't think so.
Maybe as a PM.

-g
Big plans to implement within a product line for your company? Patent applications? Or are we just paranoid that Blencowe will update one of his books and not put your name in the credits?

any way , what’s the point of sharing without sharing?
Charlie
gmm20

Post by gmm20 »

Blencowe already done that.
But, I will post more after I receive my last order of parts from my vendor.
This circuit not yet fully complete.

-g
bepone

Post by bepone »

of course people are stealing ideas from forums.. also stealing amp designs from original authors like Dumble and making their own companies on that legacy..proudly producing something "new".. suing others because they are copying something from this second original "designer" :lol:

if this is a fear then why to make topic about some "new original thing"?
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Gary,

With all due respect, I recognized you when you responded to R.G.'s post (and signed with your usual -g). If you have something to share with the group here and want to discuss your projects in earnest, great, this is a collaborative environment and the group here is very nice (not to mention very accomplished and smart). But if you are going to be cryptic and speak in riddles, you are going to get chewed up and banned. I remember you from the days on the Valve Junior forum. You'd drop breadcrumbs, always referencing avant garde ideas, but never actually discussing them. We don't have time for that here. If you want to contribute to the forum and participate in excellent technical discussion with a great bunch of people, then welcome and we're glad to have you. But I'll warn you, this group will eat you alive for sport otherwise.
gmm20

Post by gmm20 »

no riddles.
is a real power filter , nulls the a/c ripple via the common mode rejection.
i post videos to show proof of concept.
I'll do a block diagram , then see how this plays.....

.... and as a side note , i still do led bias on all my gain stages ....

-g
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

gmm20 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:48 am .... and as a side note , i still do led bias on all my gain stages ....
Did you get that from the Valve Wizard?
gmm20

Post by gmm20 »

sluckey wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:14 am
gmm20 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:48 am .... and as a side note , i still do led bias on all my gain stages ....
Did you get that from the Valve Wizard?
I did it first on a Valve Junior , so valve wiz got it from me.
bepone

Post by bepone »

when i see this "i'm first"..(to insert somewhere one component of 0.2 $) .. in a world of billion people.. for sure you are not first...in anything, this is for sure. NHF :wink:

then "first published" on the internet...this can be also a question.. just to make things realistic.

anyway in 2010 was one thread on diyaudio about D3a Phono with LED biased stage by SY
where was described LED use,
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/thre ... mp.163570/

anyway 2) i'm interested to see what we are speaking about.. maybe something new also for me who knows :wink:
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Nevermind... Nothing to see here.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
gmm20

Post by gmm20 »

bepone wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:16 am when i see this "i'm first"..(to insert somewhere one component of 0.2 $) .. in a world of billion people.. for sure you are not first...in anything, this is for sure. NHF :wink:

then "first published" on the internet...this can be also a question.. just to make things realistic.

anyway in 2010 was one thread on diyaudio about D3a Phono with LED biased stage by SY
where was described LED use,
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/thre ... mp.163570/

anyway 2) i'm interested to see what we are speaking about.. maybe something new also for me who knows :wink:
DC power filter, that nulls the A/C ripple voltage, using the common mode rejection.

is a little off the subject. However, I was building guitar amps for some of my friends who would use my equipment on Jam Night at the Quarter Note, abouts in 2009. This same year I got married. I don't do guitar amps post pandemic. But I still have my little Surface, perhaps a topic for another time, which may never happen.

martin manning

Post by martin manning »

gmm20 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:53 pmI don't do guitar amps post pandemic. But I still have my little Surface, perhaps a topic for another time, which may never happen
I call troll.