PT dual secondaries

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

audiosalvage

PT dual secondaries

Post by audiosalvage »

Looking at this power supply, is there a reason one can't use two separate PTs to achieve this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nworbetan

Re: PT dual secondaries

Post by nworbetan »

If transformers are available that have appropriate secondary voltages, then yes you can do that with two transformers.

If the transformers aren't available, then you can't.

The cost and size of two transformers might be prohibitive, but not an absolute no-go.
LOUDthud

Post by LOUDthud »

That schematic doesn't look right. Please post the whole thing. Instead of a single winding with two taps, I think it should be two independent windings.
nworbetan

Post by nworbetan »

The one part that looks a little bit "off" to me is the 220k bleeder/balancing resistors. It seems like maybe they might do a better job of balancing if the one on the 141v tap were ~30% higher than its companion on the 108v tap.

edit: searched for the transformer part number to find the schematic, and I guess the resistors don't balance a voltage across capacitors like I assumed after all.
1679537214522.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I think that yes, you can run two separate PTs but when hooking them up you need to confirm that they are in phase with each other.

I would like to hear from R.G on this .
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Stevem wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:15 am...when hooking them up you need to confirm that they are in phase with each other.
Not a problem. If the windings are isolated from each other it's just two stacked DC voltages.
LOUDthud

Post by LOUDthud »

I believe the schematic should look like this:
Marshall_SV20H_PS.GIF