'63 Showman with two 15" JBL Silver cone 16 ohm speakers

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Goldhedge

'63 Showman with two 15" JBL Silver cone 16 ohm speakers

Post by Goldhedge »

I have a '63 Showman with two 15" JBL Silver cone 16 ohm speakers taking up space in the garage. I posted about it several years ago.

I'm wondering if I should build 2 amps (one for each speaker) and sell them to a pedal steel player, sell the amp alone, or sell the whole kit as one?

I've read that the silver cones are desirable to steel players.

Looking for comments on what you folks would recommend.
“The greatest energy of movement will be obtained when synchronism is maintained between the pump impulses and the natural oscillations of the system.” Tesla
Stevem

Re: '63 Showman with two 15" JBL Silver cone 16 ohm speakers

Post by Stevem »

You must be mistaken about the year of your 2-15" cabinet.

I have both the 62 / 63 Fender catalog and the 64/65 catalog and the duel Showman was not available until 64 and at that point the duel Showman could be had with 2-12" or 2-15" drivers.

I see no logic in what your proposing to do!

If it's taking up space and collecting dust then why not sell it as is instead of spending money on building amps to drive each speaker of the cabinet separately.

Ps.
The speakers do not have silver cones, they have Aluminum voice coil covers.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Goldhedge

Post by Goldhedge »

Stevem wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:34 pm You must be mistaken about the year of your 2-15" cabinet.

I have both the 62 / 63 Fender catalog and the 64/65 catalog and the duel Showman was not available until 64 and at that point the duel Showman could be had with 2-12" or 2-15" drivers.

I see no logic in what your proposing to do!
Gimme a break... it could be 1964... with 1963 parts?

Here's my original post with pictures:
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... an#p368413

Whatcha think? Year??
If it's taking up space and collecting dust then why not sell it as is instead of spending money on building amps to drive each speaker of the cabinet separately.

Ps.
The speakers do not have silver cones, they have Aluminum voice coil covers.
Aluminum is 'silver-like' in color and yes, I misspoke, they are 'covers'. I wasn't implying they were AG, or 'silver'.

Where's a good place to sell it?
“The greatest energy of movement will be obtained when synchronism is maintained between the pump impulses and the natural oscillations of the system.” Tesla
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Low effort answer : Reverb or eBay
Charlie
LOUDthud

Post by LOUDthud »

There should be a paper label inside the amp enclosure. Post a picture if you can or describe any hand written or stamped letters/numbers.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

I'd just make sure the amp & speakers are all working and SELL as-is. The aluminum dust dome on JBL's (Altecs also) acts as a bit of a tweeter, giving extended high frequency response with a bit of a peak generally 2K - 6KHz. Those seeking clear bright tone love these speakers. And it takes a player with enough sense to keep the tone control dialled down until you really need that extra zing. It can be annoying for audience as well as other band members left going full blast treble all the time. Your Showman & JBL cab would also be a choice rig for a bass player, make sure you market to them as well as the pedal steelers.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Goldhedge

Post by Goldhedge »

LOUDthud wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:18 pm There should be a paper label inside the amp enclosure. Post a picture if you can or describe any hand written or stamped letters/numbers.
Missing that. Unfortunately. Most folks (in old thread post) suggested the date based upon the tranny stamp.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Here’s what you should look for, the stampings on the transformers in the amp.

In this photo of the output transformer the date stamping is 606415.
So this Bassman transformer was made on the 41st week of 1965.

Fender always used up what that had to make amps.

In this Bassman the inside of the chassis is ink stamped to reflect 1964.
The power transformer is dated to 1963, yet these are all original to this amp.

The newest date on these parts is when the amp was finally fully assembled and put in box to be shipped and sold.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
neskor

Post by neskor »

Stevem wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:00 pm In this photo of the output transformer the date stamping is 606415.
So this Bassman transformer was made on the 41st week of 1965.
It should be 1964.
"They used a code like this: 606 – 645
The date is in the last three digits, after the 606 – . The first of the three digits tells us the last digit of the year (unfortunately not decade specific) and the last two numbers tell us the week. In the above example, the transformer was made in either 1966 or 1976, week 45. Now if it’s a blackface amp, it’s a safe bet that 6 means 1966. If it’s a silverface amp, that 6 indicates 1976.

This code can be found on the power transformer, output transformer, choke, and reverb transformer. They are all usually within a few months of each other. Use the latest one to give you a good idea of when it was made. For example, if your silverface super reverb has transformer codes all from 1974, it was made in 1974! Let’s say the weeks are 27, 29, 33, 41. Based on the last number (45), it’s safe to say it was made in late 1974.

Many silverface and some blackface amps have the exact week, month and year stamped insie the chassis."
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

This Bassman I have is a original conglomeration!

It has the bass channel cathode follower for the first preamp tube and power supply wise for the first node it has the stacked 70 Uf filters, not the parallel filter set up.