Pentode vs Cathode follower for compression

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Tobyk

Pentode vs Cathode follower for compression

Post by Tobyk »

I’m contemplating whether I should use a pentode or a cathode follower for some compression in my next build. Has anyone tried both, and if so, what’s the conclusion?
I’d imagine a CF has the possibility to create a stronger effect (depending on Rk value) than a pentode.
bepone

Re: Pentode vs Cathode follower for compression

Post by bepone »

those experiments you build on wooden plank for preamp and output and experiment how you want.. instead of asking and loosing time and life, you can get all answers quickly :P
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Agreed, no one knows what sounds right to you, like you. While you are at it, why not make a pentode cathode follower? Can even add a triode switch and see what you like better.
Tobyk

Post by Tobyk »

Hm yeah I guess I’ll just do it.. Thanks guys.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Post results.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I've done 12A_7 triodes with both tube and mosfet cathode followers. They have offered some nice compression and smooth tone if dialed in right.

I've done 5879 pentodes, 6AU6, and 5654 pentodes. I like all of them but the 5879 is my favorite. I think it gives a FAT tone but my experience is that it adds more of a chimey tone than compression. What I mean by chimey is sort of hard to describe so take that word with a grain of salt as it could be misleading with how you interpret chimey in your thinking.

I have done 5879 pentodes with 12A_7 and mosfet cathode followers in overdrive channels. I thought they sounded pretty smooth and offered some nice compression.

I've used 5879 as V1 tubes with some frequency. I've used them also in overdrive channels. It's a nice tube. I bought enough of them to last me the rest of my life. I liked the 5654 tube also but IIRC, it had a lower max voltage on the plates?

With respect, 10thtx
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Agreed, I share your penchant for 5879 use. Best distortion tube made. As a first stage they are bright and sweet. A nice flavor change from the ubiquitous ax7.
They would enjoy more widespread use if Dumble had discovered them.
Tobyk

Post by Tobyk »

10thTx wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:29 pm I've done 12A_7 triodes with both tube and mosfet cathode followers. They have offered some nice compression and smooth tone if dialed in right.

I've done 5879 pentodes, 6AU6, and 5654 pentodes. I like all of them but the 5879 is my favorite. I think it gives a FAT tone but my experience is that it adds more of a chimey tone than compression. What I mean by chimey is sort of hard to describe so take that word with a grain of salt as it could be misleading with how you interpret chimey in your thinking.

I have done 5879 pentodes with 12A_7 and mosfet cathode followers in overdrive channels. I thought they sounded pretty smooth and offered some nice compression.

I've used 5879 as V1 tubes with some frequency. I've used them also in overdrive channels. It's a nice tube. I bought enough of them to last me the rest of my life. I liked the 5654 tube also but IIRC, it had a lower max voltage on the plates?

With respect, 10thtx
Thanks, good stuff. Pentodes are sometimes described as glassy or chimey so that makes sense. The interesting German kit Madamp Blues G3 uses a CF with a pentode driver, which also has a gain/compression control on its screen. I would have put the pentode later for better effect though.
C4A3C127-9593-4B02-9839-521D5066733D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tobyk

Post by Tobyk »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:58 pm Agreed, I share your penchant for 5879 use. Best distortion tube made. As a first stage they are bright and sweet. A nice flavor change from the ubiquitous ax7.
They would enjoy more widespread use if Dumble had discovered them.
I have a 5879 as V1 in ch1 and a 12ax7 in ch2 in a Gibson GA19/20 inspired amp I built, cause I wanted to hear the difference, and honestly the only difference (as V1) to me is lower gain on the 5879.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

As always, circuitry dependent.