Lamington Reverb Transformer

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Jamie-J

Lamington Reverb Transformer

Post by Jamie-J »

Hi everyone,

First post here. I am new to amp building having built and designed my own effect pedals. I’ve been doing lots of reading and learning about tube amps and I can’t wait to have a go at building my own.

I wanted to start building the Lamington reverb - https://valveheaven.com/2016/10/the-lam ... omment-539

Has anyone built this circuit before? It uses a 12V AC to 240V transformer. I can’t seem to find a suitable transformer online (I don’t have much experience with transformers).

Thanks!
R.G.

Re: Lamington Reverb Transformer

Post by R.G. »

Jamie-J wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:44 pm [...] It uses a 12V AC to 240V transformer. I can’t seem to find a suitable transformer online (I don’t have much experience with transformers).
I haven't built this circuit, but I've kissed a lot of transformers. :D

The circuit requires that you use a wall-socket-voltage to 12V >>AC<< power pack rated for about 1A, from my very quick scan of the article. You would then use a 240Vac to 12Vac power transformer connected backwards. That is, the 12Vac winding of the transformer is connected to the 12Vac of the power pack, and the 240Vac winding of the transformer as the high voltage output.
It may be that you've been searching for a 12Vac primary transformer, in which case I can understand why you haven't found one. Look instead for a 240Vac primary to 12Vac secondary transformer. These should be relatively plentiful. Where in the world do you live? Mouser in the USA has suitable transformers listed in stock for UD$12-20.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Here’s a suggestion, don’t build something that uses obsolete tubes.
I see this all too often in my line of work where a newly made 4000 Dollar studio Mic is made with a obsolete Pentode.
The manufacturer buys all the ones they can find of the tubes on the planet they want to build with and then hopefully has enough good ones left after testing them to make a production run or two of the MIcs.

You buy it and then down the road it needs a new tube and all you can get from the manufacturer is one of there reject tubes from the first production run.

It’s criminal to make a product like that!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Sad but true. I wish I could afford a measely U87 myself.
In this case though, there a a million 6BX6/EF-80 tubes available. I built a few preamps with em as current sources in Mu amps. I think it's good to use the vast resources laying around unused.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.