A better bias pot?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Dr Tony Balls

A better bias pot?

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

What are people here using for bias pots? I've been using the CTS screwdriver-adjustable ones but they only come in 10K and I find that range a bit limiting. Does anyone have a favorite bias pot option they're using? I like to have things externally adjustable so panel-mount is key.
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Ten Over

Re: A better bias pot?

Post by Ten Over »

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:47 pm What are people here using for bias pots? I've been using the CTS screwdriver-adjustable ones but they only come in 10K and I find that range a bit limiting. Does anyone have a favorite bias pot option they're using? I like to have things externally adjustable so panel-mount is key.
The range is usually determined by the circuit rather than by the value of the pot. That is, a sufficient range can almost always be attained with a 10k pot if the circuit is designed properly.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Ten Over wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:59 pm
Dr Tony Balls wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:47 pm What are people here using for bias pots? I've been using the CTS screwdriver-adjustable ones but they only come in 10K and I find that range a bit limiting. Does anyone have a favorite bias pot option they're using? I like to have things externally adjustable so panel-mount is key.
The range is usually determined by the circuit rather than by the value of the pot. That is, a sufficient range can almost always be attained with a 10k pot if the circuit is designed properly.
Or if you don’t want to change a thing about the rest of the circuit you can always pop a higher value track into the pot casing . Simple enough
Charlie
jabguit

Post by jabguit »

WhopperPlate wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:16 pm
Or if you don’t want to change a thing about the rest of the circuit you can always pop a higher value track into the pot casing . Simple enough
Yep - done it many times. The 450 series CTS pots are easy to open up and change resistance tracks in.

cheers,
Jack Briggs
Briggs Guitars
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

You do not want to use a pot in the first place you want to take advantage of using a 20 turn Ciramic trimmer in the resistance value that you need.

There far more accurate and they do not drift.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Well, do you care to share how to extend range with a 10K pot? I tend to use something like this Dynaco example, but in about every example I can think of there's a simple voltage divider being used to dial in bias voltage. Thus the pot is only able to adjust R1 or R2 +/- 5K

Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Stevem wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:32 am You do not want to use a pot in the first place you want to take advantage of using a 20 turn Ciramic trimmer in the resistance value that you need.

There far more accurate and they do not drift.
Right I know about this option bu what i'm really looking for is something that is panel mount so it could be adjusted from the exterior of a chassis.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

The 10K pot that Fender used is capable of providing proper bias range for Deluxe Reverb up to Twin Reverb simply by slightly changing the ACV input and the tail resistor on the pot. And the Fender pot can be adjusted internally or externally. Sounds like you already have the ultimate pot.

The Dynaco circuit (Sunn uses the same) you posted uses a 10K pot. Assuming -60vdc input allows the bias pot to swing between -37v and -58v. That's a respectable voltage range.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

sluckey wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:25 pm The 10K pot that Fender used is capable of providing proper bias range for Deluxe Reverb up to Twin Reverb simply by slightly changing the ACV input and the tail resistor on the pot. And the Fender pot can be adjusted internally or externally. Sounds like you already have the ultimate pot.

The Dynaco circuit (Sunn uses the same) you posted uses a 10K pot. Assuming -60vdc input allows the bias pot to swing between -37v and -58v. That's a respectable voltage range.
Perhaps my problem has more to do with tube variability than anything else. I recently built an amp for a guy that was supplying his own tubes. I built it at my shop, tested and configured with a set of JJ 6L6GCs for an optimal bias setting at 40mA (60% dissipation) +/- 7mA (50% - 70%). I shipped it to him without tubes and on install he had a vintage set of JAN 6LCGC where the lowest he could set it was 52mA, and another vintage set got him a high of 32mA. A set of JJs was right on the money, though. So while Fender, Dynaco, Sunn, etc's use of the 10K pot was fine at the time, tube tolerances were also much tighter. A slightly larger (25K, say) bias pot would help adjust for a wider range of tube tolerances in the current market.
Ten Over

Post by Ten Over »

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:30 pm Well, do you care to share how to extend range with a 10K pot?
Make the other resistors smaller.
Ten Over

Post by Ten Over »

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:18 pm Perhaps my problem has more to do with tube variability than anything else. I recently built an amp for a guy that was supplying his own tubes. I built it at my shop, tested and configured with a set of JJ 6L6GCs for an optimal bias setting at 40mA (60% dissipation) +/- 7mA (50% - 70%). I shipped it to him without tubes and on install he had a vintage set of JAN 6LCGC where the lowest he could set it was 52mA, and another vintage set got him a high of 32mA. A set of JJs was right on the money, though. So while Fender, Dynaco, Sunn, etc's use of the 10K pot was fine at the time, tube tolerances were also much tighter. A slightly larger (25K, say) bias pot would help adjust for a wider range of tube tolerances in the current market.
There is only a 5V difference in the bias voltage between 50% and 70% dissipation for a bogey 6L6GC with 400-some-odd volts on the plate and screen grid. Did you build a bias circuit that only had a 5V swing?

What is the RMS AC voltage powering the bias circuit and where is it coming from?
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

To answer OPs question I like to use the Bourns 50K precision trimpots. I just completed a dual bias circuit for a 6V6 amp and it gives me as low as 10-12 up to 40+ mA of bias adjustment, that’s a huge range that guarantees I can bias any 6V6 on the planet. Can’t give exact numbers because the particular trimpots I used on this build don’t have a firm end to the screw travel and I don’t want to strip them.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Yoda wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:25 am Can’t give exact numbers because the particular trimpots I used on this build don’t have a firm end to the screw travel and I don’t want to strip them.
They do have an end of travel. You won't strip them. You should be able to feel a click when you reach either end. If you listen closely, you can probably even hear a slight click.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Designing with the 10k pot makes it easy to Keep the total resistance low, as seen by the power tube grids, preventing slightly gassy tubes from thermal runaway.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Ten Over

Post by Ten Over »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:15 am Designing with the 10k pot makes it easy to Keep the total resistance low, as seen by the power tube grids, preventing slightly gassy tubes from thermal runaway.
And to make the higher resistance bias circuit even worse, all of the current from all of the power tube grids flows through the bias circuit making its effective resistance significantly higher.