Fenter Twin Replacement Transformers

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

newAmpBuilder

Fenter Twin Replacement Transformers

Post by newAmpBuilder »

I need some technical help with a mod. I want to replace my fender twin 100 watt output transformer with a 40-50 watt OT - like in a bassman or something like that. Would I have to change my Power Transformer or would it still work with a lower wattage OT?
bepone

Re: Fenter Twin Replacement Transformers

Post by bepone »

no need to replace power transformer
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

No need to change the PT. What are you hoping to achieve with the lower wattage OT? If you just want to run two fewer power tubes you can do that without changing the transformer, but you would probably want to run half the current speaker load if you did that.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

newAmpBuilder wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:11 pmI want to replace my fender twin 100 watt output transformer with a 40-50 watt OT … Would I have to change my Power Transformer or would it still work with a lower wattage OT?
I would check the heater voltage to see if it is still ok with the reduced current draw of two power tubes. The upper limit is usually assumed to be +10%, or 6.9 VAC. I don't know if this is an old or new Twin, so modern voltages might play a role.

If you are looking to reduce output power, and you have 2x 8R speakers in the cab, then pulling two tubes and disconnecting one speaker to rematch the output impedance would be a no-cost option.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

In all likelihood the reduction in heater load of 1.8 amps will take the Heater voltage above 6.9 volts, but you can just leave all 4 output tubes in the amp, but only have two of them wired up to the B+ on pins 3 and 4 .
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
newAmpBuilder

Post by newAmpBuilder »

Stevem wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:32 pm In all likelihood the reduction in heater load of 1.8 amps will take the Heater voltage above 6.9 volts, but you can just leave all 4 output tubes in the amp, but only have two of them wired up to the B+ on pins 3 and 4 .
Would there be a way to reduce the heater load if the extra tubes are removed and the other two sockets weren't wired?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Why don't you pull two of the output tubes and measure the heater voltage?
newAmpBuilder

Post by newAmpBuilder »

martin manning wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:40 pm Why don't you pull two of the output tubes and measure the heater voltage?
Thanks Martin I will do that.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

If you don’t need that 100w twin iron I will take it off your hands!
Charlie