Paging RG Keen/UL700 pcb/wiring question.

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Dennis Perusse

Paging RG Keen/UL700 pcb/wiring question.

Post by Dennis Perusse »

I send this email to you on Oct 10th. Not sure if you've read it as I presume that you get a lot of email and are very busy. Just figured that I'd resend it just in case in multiple areas and would love to read your input on this. Very appreciated in any help here that could be offered by yourself or anyone else who has used your pcb board and got the entire setup to work.

Dennis

Hello,

Hey, possibly a foolish question here but one that I just can't answer. Okay, following along ready to solder wires from the PCB of the UL700 board to the Reverb replacement BTDR2 board I'm running into an issue that only you can solve.

If you look at where W1, and W2 connect on the BTDR2 board it says to connect them to pad 53 and 54 respectively. My only problem is where are those pads that those wire are to be connected to on the UL700 pcb at? You only go up to pad 52 as that deals with the power.

Now, I'm using the W1 and W2 on the UL700 pcb so that I can have a full regulated 25 volt power as I am using a Hammond 187c28 power transformer to power the board. So, should the w1 and w2 on the BTDR2 pads be connected to the W1 and W2 on the UL700 pcb at all or is there another location where they will connect? Again, a little bit confused here and would love a clarification on this.

The last question revolves around the wiring for the foot-switch. It says on this layout that the reverb connects to pad 52 for the reverb ground. Now, since I am using W1 and W2 on the UL700 pcb does that mean that I can still put that wire from the reverb ground=cancel from my DIN 6 female plug lead (that would normally wire up into the male plug following the diagram connecting to the foot-switch) and connect that to pad 52?

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely;

Dennis Perusse
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Paging RG Keen/UL700 pcb/wiring question.

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Dennis,

R.G. may likely respond better here, I don't know how well he'll respond to email, but usually within a day or two max he chimes in regularly here.

Sadly I can't help much :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Dennis Perusse

Post by Dennis Perusse »

Hello,

Yeah, so far nothing yet. It's funny in a way. I am so close to finishing this up and it is just the foot pedal that is throwing me off in how it connects to the pcb board, wire wise. He is an amazing man, and I am so glad we have him on this list. I hope that he contacts me soon so that I can finish this up and then order up my head cab for it. I'll probably go through rawcabs for that though. :-)

Dennis
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Not foolish questions.
Sorry for taking so long to reply. We’ve been in a bout of stomach bug here and it interferes with my ability to concentrate and this one needed some concentration.

But I did dig through my archives on this board and discovered how I bungled this one. I made a mistake in pad numbering early on and carefully [!?] and consistently carried it along into later documents. Egad! I got the pad number for canceling the reverb right on the board wiring diagram, but mislabeled it on the schematic in a later update.
The board pad 50 is the reverb cancel signal. Grounding this cancels the reverb, both in the normal circuit with the (unavailable) piezo reverb circuit and on the modifications to use the BTDR module or any other external reverb/delay. I mislabeled that “pad 52” and the rest is history. Ugh. I need to fire my proofreaders. 8-)
See updated info below.
If you look at where W1, and W2 connect on the BTDR2 board it says to connect them to pad 53 and 54 respectively. My only problem is where are those pads that those wire are to be connected to on the UL700 pcb at? You only go up to pad 52 as that deals with the power.
Aaaand concentration is required to find my typo mistakes. They should connect to the regulated +25 and ground…
Now, I'm using the W1 and W2 on the UL700 pcb so that I can have a full regulated 25 volt power as I am using a Hammond 187c28 power transformer to power the board. So, should the w1 and w2 on the BTDR2 pads be connected to the W1 and W2 on the UL700 pcb at all or is there another location where they will connect? Again, a little bit confused here and would love a clarification on this.
… as you correctly figured out. Good thinking.
The last question revolves around the wiring for the foot-switch. It says on this layout that the reverb connects to pad 52 for the reverb ground. Now, since I am using W1 and W2 on the UL700 pcb does that mean that I can still put that wire from the reverb ground=cancel from my DIN 6 female plug lead (that would normally wire up into the male plug following the diagram connecting to the foot-switch) and connect that to pad 52?
Yes.
I’ve updated the BTDR reverb mod page and included a link below. The pad numbers were changed for +25V (now pad 51), power-ground to the BTDR (now pad 52, board power ground), and the reverb cancel pad (now pad 50 like it should always have been). I’ve also included an updated footswitch pedal and socket diagram.
I can add the correction to the UL700 project booklet if you like and get you a freshly updated copy.
Dennis Perusse

Post by Dennis Perusse »

Hello,

Yes, I would love an updated copy of the build booklet. Plus, I do have one additional question for you. Are you still making the BTDR2 boards at all? I mention this since where I still have one pre-amp pcb board left if I decide to build one last one of these things I'd like to purchase one from you. Still not sure which kind of a project that I'd like to build though. On one end I'd love to do a single ended two channel transistorized ac4 with all the bells and whistles that your pcb's provide or even do a UL730 in an ac-30 chassis/cab setup. If I do the single ended version I'd probably have it look like the old Conqueror's did in terms of its construction. I've also toyed with the idea of doing a 50 watt version of this utilizing the power section from an 053 circuit from an AC-50. I wonder if I could call it a UL750? ;-)

Very appreciated;

Dennis
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

I don't plan to make any more of them, but a prowl through the PCBs file drawer turned up three of them, so I can get you one.

Try email again. My ISP was recently acquired by a bigger company and email seems to be getting better again.
Dennis Perusse

Post by Dennis Perusse »

Hello,

Yeah, I'll resend my email address to you. I am still interested in purchasing one of your Btdr2 boards from you. Just let me know in the email how much it is so I can put some green in my paypal acct to send to you. :-)

Dennis

Oh, by the way, on the Btdr2 board does the w5 and w6 pad get used for anything or does it get left alone?
Dennis Perusse

Post by Dennis Perusse »

Hello,

I did send you an email. Not sure if you have received it.

Dennis
Dennis Perusse

Post by Dennis Perusse »

Hello all,

Been almost a month now, still no word from him. If anyone has an email address that might reach him please let him know that I did resend him an email. Maybe he is still getting over his stomach bug, not sure, or maybe his isp is really bad about email these days even though it was supposedly getting better. Mergers happen that way, I guess.

Dennis
Dennis Perusse

Post by Dennis Perusse »

Hello all,

Yay, he responded over email. Just keeping people up to date. :-)

Dennis
Dennis Perusse

Post by Dennis Perusse »

Hey all,

If someone close to him could let him know that my email is probably in his junk folder again that would be wonderful. ;-)

Dennis
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Yep, junk mail captured you again. I have a real issue with junk - I've used the same email address since essentially the start of the internet, and it's on all the abusive lists. The junk filters have false positives regularly.

Check your email.
Dennis Perusse

Re: Paging RG Keen/UL700 pcb/Power Transformer question.

Post by Dennis Perusse »

Hello,

RG if you get a moment check your email. My messages have hit your junk folder again.

Dennis
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Got it, replied.