Cheap amps as a build platform

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

a_e_a

Cheap amps as a build platform

Post by a_e_a »

Anyone here use cheaper amps as a start for a build? Using the cab, chassis, etc and building something different inside. What are the drawbacks? Any recommended amps to look out for that people tend to get rid of?

Seen a few that look cool on marketplace and could be an interesting project...
sluckey

Re: Cheap amps as a build platform

Post by sluckey »

Several years ago you could pick up a SS Vox Pathfinder for $40 to $50. I bought three, gutted them except for the speaker and stuffed a tube amp in each one. Shortly after the price on the Pathfinder doubled!

Here are my three conversion projects.

http://sluckeyamps.com/vox/vox.htm

http://sluckeyamps.com/dual_lite/dual_lite.htm

http://sluckeyamps.com/lil_maggie/lil_maggie.htm
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

I do this somewhat regularly. It really depends on how far you want to go regarding what to look out for. Main things I think about are: what is currently working, how many and what tubes it comes with, what the transformers can handle, how much room is in the chassis, how much room is on the faceplate, how will I mount everything inside, how will I mount the chassis to a cabinet if it doesn't already have one.

Some amps are so cheap I wouldn't bother. For old stuff, I usually avoid the widow makers without a proper power transformer or anything too rusty. For newer stuff, you want to avoid the overly cramped, overly flimsy, overly cheap cabinets, etc.. Think in terms of: transformers, chassis, tubes, speaker, cabinet.

You can sometimes find free or inexpensive stuff from the 40s-70s that wasn't meant to be a guitar amp. Tube organ amps, projectors, anything that made sound might have some good parts. Or whatever name brand guitar amp that went on sale that never really sounded good. Here's a cheap fender I redid a few months ago. https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36536
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Some 15 years ago I picked up two blown up solid state Univox U65RN combo amps that where cosmeticly perfect for 25 bucks and even the speakers where good.

I stripped them out and using terminal strips built them into two different amps for one guy.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
xtian

Post by xtian »

I've done a few conversions of Fender Hot Rods and Carvin X50 or X100 tube amps into ODS with great success.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
bepone

Post by bepone »

a_e_a wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:04 am Anyone here use cheaper amps as a start for a build? Using the cab, chassis, etc and building something different inside. What are the drawbacks? Any recommended amps to look out for that people tend to get rid of?

Seen a few that look cool on marketplace and could be an interesting project...
cheap randall rh50t is good for Dumble maybe also TW
a_e_a

Post by a_e_a »

Thanks for all the replies.

Well as it happened my partner brought home an old solid state amp she got for free yesterday. Haha. It actually sounds better than I expected haha.

Not sure whether it'll be worth doing but I'm sure I could do something with it for fun.
IMG_5847.jpeg
IMG_5848.jpeg
IMG_5849.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bepone

Post by bepone »

some simple fender type 15w PP very easy, with reverb possibility in the future (upgrade with time)
a_e_a

Post by a_e_a »

Already has a reverb tank in it too. Could be the way to go...
bepone

Post by bepone »

yes with fender you cannot miss because with pedals you have all.. reverb tank probably here is run by transistors or IC so it is necessary to see the impedances on the tank and select the reverb out. transformer accordingly
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

If it has good transformers and is cheap I'll buy to harvest those.
I'd rather have a fresh chassis that suits my design, rather than compromise the design, plate over unneeded holes, strip and clean the chassis, etc.
However, my thanks to all that recycle/upcycle to improve an amp, or save it from the landfill. Especially if it's a conversion from sandy state to vacuum excellence.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.