Input Grid bias on triode vs pentode

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Tobyk

Input Grid bias on triode vs pentode

Post by Tobyk »

Will there be more hum when input grid leak biasing a triode vs. using a pentode?
Last edited by Tobyk on Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin manning

Re: Input Grid bias on triode vs pentode

Post by martin manning »

This is in the case of a preamp stage? If so, I would say since the gain is higher than a triode, hum might be more of an issue with a pentode, and some small signal pentodes are known for high hum. EF86 is one.
Tobyk

Post by Tobyk »

martin manning wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:19 pm This is in the case of a preamp stage? If so, I would say since the gain is higher than a triode, hum might be more of an issue with a pentode, and some small signal pentodes are known for high hum. EF86 is one.
Yes, for the input stage – the old school grid leak biasing method. I think I read somewhere pentodes are better hum-wise in this case because of their higher internal capacitance, thus less Miller effect.. something like that..?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The pentode's screen grid hides the plate and minimizes Miller capacitance even though the gain is higher. The result is that pentodes do not suffer from high frequency roll-off like triodes do, and make better RF amplifiers.