3.8K vs 4.2K Primary

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

groovtubin

3.8K vs 4.2K Primary

Post by groovtubin »

Friend gave me a 3.8K Partidge type M Mag Output. Bldg a SIMPLE SSS version sans filters n verb, Using a HR Deville 60 watt power roughly 460B+ w/bridge. w/6L6 am i pushing it too far? have to ay lower gain in PI? Bias lower etc, i normally used WELL known parts and data sheets, going off the beaten path w/OTs im not that experienced.. APPRECIATE any advice n help, Thank you!
Stevem

Re: 3.8K vs 4.2K Primary

Post by Stevem »

Yes, I would say your leaning on it too hard at 3.8K with that level of B+ and the current to do around 50 watts.

The 60 watt rating of those Deville amps was exaggerated!

For example the the 40 watt rating Fender placed on the blues deluxe amps I have found to be only 33 watts even when using really strong testing outputs and new formed filter caps on 120 volt wall power.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

Stevem wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:41 am Yes, I would say your leaning on it too hard at 3.8K with that level of B+ and the current to do around 50 watts.

For example the the 40 watt rating Fender placed on the blues deluxe amps I have found to be only 33 watts even when using really strong testing outputs and new formed filter caps on 120 volt wall power.
THANK YOU Stevem! Appreciate it it buddy! God bless you n your family!
bepone

Post by bepone »

groovtubin wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:18 am Friend gave me a 3.8K Partidge type M Mag Output. Bldg a SIMPLE SSS version sans filters n verb, Using a HR Deville 60 watt power roughly 460B+ w/bridge. w/6L6 am i pushing it too far? have to ay lower gain in PI? Bias lower etc, i normally used WELL known parts and data sheets, going off the beaten path w/OTs im not that experienced.. APPRECIATE any advice n help, Thank you!
it is no problem, difference is only at max volume..ant low and mid volume no difference.. if you are really worried, then you can insert in series 0.5 ohm resistor 25W with the secondary (you can use common wire from OT, then in series with common OT and gnd on the speaker terminal).
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

Stevem wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:41 am Yes, I would say your leaning on it too hard at 3.8K with that level of B+ and the current to do around 50 watts.

I've been told that Fender generally rates their amps at max output, rather than clean output. That could explain the discrepancy.
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

JD0x0 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:08 pm

I've been told that Fender generally rates their amps at max output, rather than clean output. That could explain the discrepancy.

Max power of any overdriven amp usually exceeds that percentage difference
Charlie
wpaulvogel

Post by wpaulvogel »

That power output of less than 40 watts is typical but I just worked on a Super Reverb that made 45 watts clean rms with a set of old RCA’s.