Rebuilt Transformers

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Re: Rebuilt Transformers

Post by Reeltarded »

R.G. wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:30 pm
That would be frustrating all right.

You and kato answered my questions perfectly. I have a plan to rebirth this amp into a confusing beast that looks straight but it's bent as can be.

There is no way I will do it myself. I need to find an experienced winder with an understanding of exactly what I need. I would approach like.. Merren, but that might take 6 months of unreturned phone calls and who knows when and how much at the end!

I just want to rock. lol
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
katopan

Post by katopan »

Reeltarded wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:36 am Excellent! And uhoh.. this is going to cost a tiny fortune. At least I will be able to finish thinking about it. :)

Thank you!
Hopefully not a tiny fortune if you can find the right person/company with some interest in rewinding old iron for old amps. I've done my own and have a local business I've recommended to others that is an industrial transformer manufacturer, but the owner has a keen interest in vintage guitar amps and winds / rewinds transformers for them on the side. But none of that helps from the other side of the Pacific. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone over there. Good luck, it'll be worth it.
didit

Post by didit »

Reeltarded wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:09 pm

You and kato answered my questions perfectly. I have a plan to rebirth this amp into a confusing beast that looks straight but it's bent as can be.

There is no way I will do it myself. I need to find an experienced winder with an understanding of exactly what I need. I would approach like.. Merren, but that might take 6 months of unreturned phone calls and who knows when and how much at the end!

I just want to rock. lol
Mercury in retrograde ??
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

katopan wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:43 pm Good luck, it'll be worth it.
Yes.. I have seen your transformers. I know a witch when I see one.

"Incantations, maths, and winds.. perfect voltage.. hope you... finds..."

Well. I tried. I once turned a roll of toilet paper into a duck.

Ok. Honestly I was on a survival course and it was quite the opposite. Ducks are not our friends.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

didit wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:19 pm
Mercury in retrograde ??

Oh.. you!

I saw Copernicus sitting at a fold-out table in a park with posterboard signage.

G Galilei is right. Prove me wrong.
Roe

Post by Roe »

Reeltarded wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:09 pm

I just want to rock. lol
Brian at MArstran have been doing this in the past. he is good and reliable
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I think he uses Heyboer.

He has absolutely torn down as many originals as nyone, surely.
didit

Post by didit »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:33 am
didit wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:19 pm
Mercury in retrograde ??

Oh.. you!

I saw Copernicus sitting at a fold-out table in a park with posterboard signage.

G Galilei is right. Prove me wrong.
Aright. So Mercury Magnetics have that restomod aura, though potentially costly. They also have a broad selection of suit to purpose contemporary stock designs.

Last edited by didit on Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roe

Post by Roe »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:52 am I think he uses Heyboer.

He has absolutely torn down as many originals as nyone, surely.
yes, heyboer builds the marstran transformers to Brian's specs. But it seems to be Brian himself that does teardowns
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
katopan

Post by katopan »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:27 am "Incantations, maths, and winds.. perfect voltage.. hope you... finds..."
:lol: