10 watt Fender Deluxe

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mikante

Re: 10 watt Fender Deluxe

Post by Mikante »

Rogan wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:11 pm You can use the bias circuit from the Princeton Reverb. Just omit the tremolo and intensity pot. You may have to adjust the value of the resistor to ground to set the appropriate bias voltage.

Or, google for some Princeton mods for adjustable bias.
I have seen a couple of videos about it. They both shows how to convert the fixed bias of the princeton to variable, they do not remove the tremolo pot though. So i guess that needs to be replaced with a resistor to gorund?
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Listen to Sluckey, he is trying to help you. If you don’t have a low voltage bias tap, you need a larger dropping resistor. Change the 470 ohm to somewhere around 100k on the ab763 circuit. This resistor value could be different depending on the output tubes and power transformer you choose, so it might be larger or smaller than 100k.

Also, “fixed bias” means something, it’s confusing to use the term in other ways, and non-adjustable fixed bias is bad practice. Always have a trim pot, it will save you headaches.
Mikante

Post by Mikante »

maxkracht wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:02 pm Listen to Sluckey, he is trying to help you. If you don’t have a low voltage bias tap, you need a larger dropping resistor. Change the 470 ohm to somewhere around 100k on the ab763 circuit. This resistor value could be different depending on the output tubes and power transformer you choose, so it might be larger or smaller than 100k.

Also, “fixed bias” means something, it’s confusing to use the term in other ways, and non-adjustable fixed bias is bad practice. Always have a trim pot, it will save you headaches.
It is exactly what i am doing but i m not very fond of cryptic messages.
This is what Sluckey said:
You only need to change one resistor to use the AB763 bias circuit.
So forgive me if i m still asking so i can understand and make good use of that advice.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Mikante wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:58 pm
maxkracht wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:02 pm Listen to Sluckey, he is trying to help you. If you don’t have a low voltage bias tap, you need a larger dropping resistor. Change the 470 ohm to somewhere around 100k on the ab763 circuit. This resistor value could be different depending on the output tubes and power transformer you choose, so it might be larger or smaller than 100k.

So forgive me if i m still asking so i can understand and make good use of that advice.
I thought my message was very straightforward. Change ONE resistor. Change the 470Ω to 100K. Surely you understand that if you use a 340VAC source rather than a 50VAC source for the AB763 bias supply, you must use a larger resistor to knock that BIG AC voltage down to reasonable level for the AB763 bias circuit. If this still sounds too cryptic maybe you should not try to use the PR PT.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Mikante wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:59 pm
Phil_S wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:03 pm What are you really trying to do? The 5E3 is about 15W. The perceived difference in loudness between 10W and 15W is very small. To perceive a meaningful drop in power, I suggest you'd need to go below 5W and maybe as low as 2W.
If you want 10W, just go for it. I'm just saying, before you go to the trouble of making a custom circuit, have an idea of what to expect.
Hello, maybe i got you confused, 10 watt or close to it is my goal. The deluxe ab763 is way too loud for my purpose as it goes above the 20 watt range.
The clarification is helpful. I am not confused. 10W in push pull will be almost as loud as 20W. I think 10W will not meet your expectations. See if you can get a pair of EL95's. I think that will give you about 3-5W.
Mikante

Post by Mikante »

sluckey wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:19 pm
Mikante wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:58 pm

I thought my message was very straightforward. Change ONE resistor. Change the 470Ω to 100K. Surely you understand that if you use a 340VAC source rather than a 50VAC source for the AB763 bias supply, you must use a larger resistor to knock that BIG AC voltage down to reasonable level for the AB763 bias circuit. If this still sounds too cryptic maybe you should not try to use the PR PT.
I was confused but now i understand exactly what you re saying. My experience is only about the champ 5f1 or anything close to that design. Thank you.
Phil_S wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:58 pm
Mikante wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:59 pm
Phil_S wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:03 pm What are you really trying to do? The 5E3 is about 15W. The perceived difference in loudness between 10W and 15W is very small. To perceive a meaningful drop in power, I suggest you'd need to go below 5W and maybe as low as 2W.
If you want 10W, just go for it. I'm just saying, before you go to the trouble of making a custom circuit, have an idea of what to expect.
Hello, maybe i got you confused, 10 watt or close to it is my goal. The deluxe ab763 is way too loud for my purpose as it goes above the 20 watt range.
The clarification is helpful. I am not confused. 10W in push pull will be almost as loud as 20W. I think 10W will not meet your expectations. See if you can get a pair of EL95's. I think that will give you about 3-5W.
I have a champ that I recently built, in that range of power, I am satisfied. I need a a bit more volume and headroom. I had a deluxe reverb and a princeton reverb, both silverface. I sold them long ago but I remeber, the deluxe was too loud for recording at home, the princeton was much better in this regard.
I agree with you about the volume, not a huge difference.
Last edited by Mikante on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Maybe all you need to make the Deluxe circuit suitable for your needs is a master volume?
Mikante

Post by Mikante »

I never liked an amp with a master volume. I tried many. I like my amp to be right on the edge of break up, no more, no less, 5 to 10 watt is the perfect range for me.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

If the distortion is not being generated in the power amp a master volume will have no impact other than the volume itself.
Mikante

Post by Mikante »

Both clean and crunchy sound different with a master volume keeping down the power stage, that is something I really don t like. Could I play and enjoy it anyway? Of course but it would never be my first choice.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Sometimes I label "master volume" as "level" or "volume" so people won't think it sounds bad.

You could: add power scaling, hardwire a pad on the OT secondary, select a PT with a low B+, use an inefficient speaker, combination of these options.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Mikante wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:09 amI like my amp to be right on the edge of break up, no more, no less...
Me too. Perhaps one of the best edge-of-break-up tones ever comes from the Dumble. It has a clean power amp with master volume. All of the magic is in the preamp.
High vs. low volume level will always be perceived differently, there is no getting around that.
Mikante

Post by Mikante »

I agree, partially, maybe is it because i haven t been trying too many amps. To me, it sounds about right when both final and preamp stages are at the right spot. If the final tubes are working at 20% while the preamp is pushed into overdrive you can definitly tell. The power stage is also adding some magic when you get close to hit its limit. As i said, it might be my limited experience but that is what I am hearing.
I use my amps just for recording, i really don t need a lot of watts and it would be more expensive also. The silverface princeton I had was just perfect but i never used any of the tremolo or reverb. If the two channel project works as intended it would be exactly what I need.
By the way, what is the Dumble?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Mikante wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:14 pmBy the way, what is the Dumble?
On this board there are two sub fora (Discussion and Files) dedicated to Dumble amps. Here's a demo clip: https://youtu.be/JwKdRzbGXqc?t=220
Mikante

Post by Mikante »

Nice amp, too complicated for me to build :cry: