Gibson GA79RVT - No Screen Resistors

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RightLurker

Gibson GA79RVT - No Screen Resistors

Post by RightLurker »

I am tinkering with a ~1967 Gibson GA79RVT stereo amp. The schematic shows the screen grids tied directly to the OPT center taps (there are two OPTs), with no screen resistors. The circuit in the amp matches the schematic. The schematic also says the screen grids should measure 322v and the plates 317v at idle, which sounds backward to me. I have no doubt the schematic is correct, but can someone enlighten me as to what is going on in this circuit? Thanks in advance.
sluckey

Re: Gibson GA79RVT - No Screen Resistors

Post by sluckey »

That was very common practice back then, especially when B+ was not really high. Look at some more Gibson amps from that era to see even more examples.
RightLurker

Post by RightLurker »

Thank you, Sluckey. Good tip, and good to know.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

This arrangement was also done during a time / era where tube quality was far better, especially in terms of EL84 / 6BQ5 tubes.

If your working on this for a customer who is going to actually play it and needs reliability I would add 150 ohm screen resistors.

Such a mod should not change the tone of the amp and barely effect its power output.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

RightLurker wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:11 amThe schematic shows the screen grids tied directly to the OPT center taps (there are two OPTs), with no screen resistors. ... The schematic also says the screen grids should measure 322v and the plates 317v at idle, which sounds backward to me.
Note that the B+ is connected directly to the screens, but plate current passes through the OT primary, resulting in a 5V drop.
RightLurker

Post by RightLurker »

Thanks to all. I'm strictly a hobbyist. Years ago good friend picked the amp out of someone's road-side trash and gave it to me, sans speakers, knobs and back panels, but otherwise in remarkable cosmetic condition. I have a '62 ES-345, and I want a stereo amp to go with it. They should make a nice set.