New Amp Build

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Guitarxtc

New Amp Build

Post by Guitarxtc »

Here is my new amp build : 100w 4xel34,6x12ax7, 3 channel, high end caps,C-core transformers and point to point wiring.

Biggest challenge was this time to make PTP wiring in small chassis(470x195x60mm).
I am still working on switching, but end result will be with headshell (Italian poplar) only 11.5 kg for full 100w head :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Re: New Amp Build

Post by xtian »

Wow! That's full power OCD, and I salute you!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
alnight

Post by alnight »

That is an impressive piece of work there sir. What do you think of those Jupiter caps? I have yet to try any of those, but I amp curious.
Lauri

Post by Lauri »

Nice build. Lundahl transformers are a rare sight in guitar amps.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Cause they're spendy AF.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
romberg

Post by romberg »

Very nice work! I'd love to see a schematic or just a description of the topology of each of your three channels. Is one of the channels a gain stage added? I'm kinda guessing based on the controls.

Mike
Guitarxtc

Post by Guitarxtc »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:23 am Cause they're spendy AF.
Not really expensive(about 300eur per piece),in EU Mercury Magnetics cost 50% more.
jabguit

Post by jabguit »

Guitarxtc wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:42 am
Not really expensive(about 300eur per piece),in EU Mercury Magnetics cost 50% more.
in the US Mercury cost 50%+ more
Jack Briggs
Briggs Guitars
Guitarxtc

Post by Guitarxtc »

romberg wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:44 am Very nice work! I'd love to see a schematic or just a description of the topology of each of your three channels. Is one of the channels a gain stage added? I'm kinda guessing based on the controls.

Mike
I don't have schematic, started from zero. 1-Clean channel ,2-drive channel-First stage parallel-2-3-4-and cf, 3-channel-first parallel-2-3-4 plate driven and different tone stack
bepone

Post by bepone »

it is very expensive build, free flow build i like that..with all the expensive parts from HiFi collective..IMO maybe no need to go this route, i discovered that some cheap parts works better (EJ parts :mrgreen: ) .. been there..

also i never liked exposed terminals on Lundahl , service guy can be electrocuted in a second..

interested to see the results/possible problems..
Guitarxtc

Post by Guitarxtc »

bepone wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:56 am it is very expensive build, free flow build i like that..with all the expensive parts from HiFi collective..IMO maybe no need to go this route, i discovered that some cheap parts works better (EJ parts :mrgreen: ) .. been there..

also i never liked exposed terminals on Lundahl , service guy can be electrocuted in a second..

interested to see the results/possible problems..
Lundahl are there only for weight saving :)
bepone

Post by bepone »

Guitarxtc wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:06 pm Lundahl are there only for weight saving :)
and price increase :mrgreen: you can use torroids it is the same weight (light) and 5* cheaper (using magnetic flux of 1.5T like here (around) to have low number of turns and smaller core :wink:

possible problem in using high saturation core like here /discovered in the past / that attack on the note is very fast, so not good for some types of music..for metal is ok
Guitarxtc

Post by Guitarxtc »

bepone wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:51 pm
Guitarxtc wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:06 pm Lundahl are there only for weight saving :)
and price increase :mrgreen: you can use torroids it is the same weight (light) and 5* cheaper (using magnetic flux of 1.5T like here (around) to have low number of turns and smaller core :wink:

possible problem in using high saturation core like here /discovered in the past / that attack on the note is very fast, so not good for some types of music..for metal is ok
I will look into Toroidal, maybe try hybrid rectifier: tube and SS at the same time ?

Sad si mi dao zanimaciju :mrgreen:
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

jabguit wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:45 am
Guitarxtc wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:42 am
in the US Mercury cost 50%+ more
Yeah, we have different definitions of expensive.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

When I'm feeling fancy I spring for the 1000v Panasonics. :D Very nice looking build!