Biasing Musicman HD-130 amp?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Biasing Musicman HD-130 amp?

Post by Mark »

The amp in question is the one that uses transistors on the cathodes of the output stage and is driven by IC’s.

What I don’t understand is there is no more than 16VDC on the grids and the cathodes have to be more positive than the grids to stop the valves red plate and going up in smoke.

I gather that TR-1 is used to bias the transistor. However the notes I have said adjust pot so there is 25mV across the 3.9ohm resistor. Unless my maths is off that’s 3.2mAs per valve which seems crazy.

If anyone has the time to explain how the bias works to me I would greatly appreciate it.

https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetub ... ematic.pdf
MM-Service-Bulletins-All.pdf
IMG_8780.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
martin manning

Re: Biasing Musicman HD-130 amp?

Post by martin manning »

Mark wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:08 pmWhat I don’t understand is there is no more than 16VDC on the grids and the cathodes have to be more positive than the grids to stop the valves red plate and going up in smoke.

I gather that TR-1 is used to bias the transistor. However the notes I have said adjust pot so there is 25mV across the 3.9ohm resistor. Unless my maths is off that’s 3.2mAs per valve which seems crazy.
The outputs are driven at their cathodes and the grids are fixed at 16V, so it's a grounded grid configuration. The BJT is biased for very low current so it will cause the cathode voltage to rise well above the grid, like a large cathode resistor.
ampdan

Post by ampdan »

FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Due to the high plate voltage (around 700 volts) the screens are at 50% of that, and the bias is low (about 20 ma per tube).
The bias is measured at the 3.9 ohm emitter resistor and the Pacair schematics and tech notes explain what you are looking for.
Matched tubes is a good idea, and quality tubes (I like JJ's in these), are imperative.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

FUCHSAUDIO wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:44 pmDue to the high plate voltage (around 700 volts) the screens are at 50% of that, and the bias is low (about 20 ma per tube).
As Mark notes above, each pair of power tubes gets 25 mV over 3.9 ohms, so just 3.2 mA each. It's very nearly running in Class B.
Mark

Post by Mark »

martin manning wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:52 pm
Mark wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:08 pmWhat I don’t understand is there is no more than 16VDC on the grids and the cathodes have to be more positive than the grids to stop the valves red plate and going up in smoke.

The outputs are driven at their cathodes and the grids are fixed at 16V, so it's a grounded grid configuration. The BJT is biased for very low current so it will cause the cathode voltage to rise well above the grid, like a large cathode resistor.
Thanks for your reply Martin, I appreciate your help. I should have stated what I know. I knew the output valves have no real gain, and the signal is fed into the cathode. I gathered it was a grounded grid arrangement, but I didn’t understand why the grids are at 16V as it achieves the same end as having them grounded.

The low current bothers me as bias calculators are saying the current should be 17mA to 20mA for class AB. The current going through each seems almost insignificant and I wonder what will be outputted.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the information, it’s good to know.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Mark

Post by Mark »

FUCHSAUDIO wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:44 pm Due to the high plate voltage (around 700 volts) the screens are at 50% of that, and the bias is low (about 20 ma per tube).
The bias is measured at the 3.9 ohm emitter resistor and the Pacair schematics and tech notes explain what you are looking for.
Matched tubes is a good idea, and quality tubes (I like JJ's in these), are imperative.
Hi Andy, good to hear from you again, thanks for your reply.

Various online calculators have AB bias at 17mA to 25mA, however with the suggested 25mV across a 3.9 ohm resistor I l’m looking at a current of 6.2mA, there are four 6CA7’s so that is 3.1mA per valve which I can’t say I have encountered operating current as low as this before, as this is the first MM amp I have had to repair (maybe I lead a sheltered life 🤭)

I vaguely remember reading something many years ago that this design was done to maximise valve life and reliability, but that’s the extent of my knowledge of MM amps.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Mark wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:36 pmI knew the output valves have no real gain, and the signal is fed into the cathode. I gathered it was a grounded grid arrangement, but I didn’t understand why the grids are at 16V as it achieves the same end as having them grounded.
When the drivers are fully turned on the cathodes are driven nearly to ground, Vg-k is positive, and it operates in AB2.
Mark wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:36 pmThe low current bothers me as bias calculators are saying the current should be 17mA to 20mA for class AB. The current going through each seems almost insignificant and I wonder what will be outputted.
Bias it as described in the service notes and it'll be fine :^)
ampdan

Post by ampdan »

Mark wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:37 pm
Thanks for the information, it’s good to know.
You're welcome. It definitely helped me when I had one come through here.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

While you have have it change out those filter caps in the 15 volt supply otherwise it will come back just like Murphy’s law predicts.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Thank you for the explanation! On the handful of these I have worked on, I assumed they liked to be biased cold and didn't think too much about it. Following the MM directions always worked fine for me.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Mark wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:49 pm
FUCHSAUDIO wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:44 pm Due to the high plate voltage (around 700 volts) the screens are at 50% of that, and the bias is low (about 20 ma per tube).
Hi Andy, good to hear from you again, thanks for your reply.

Various online calculators have AB bias at 17mA to 25mA, however with the suggested 25mV across a 3.9 ohm resistor I l’m looking at a current of 6.2mA, there are four 6CA7’s so that is 3.1mA per valve which I can’t say I have encountered operating current as low as this before, as this is the first MM amp I have had to repair (maybe I lead a sheltered life 🤭)

I vaguely remember reading something many years ago that this design was done to maximise valve life and reliability, but that’s the extent of my knowledge of MM amps.
My pleasure. I think I may be thinking of the tube driver version as 20 ma per tube..? I never ran the math on the solid state versions, just followed instructions and set to the 3.9 ohm test point voltage the schematic asked-for.
The positive grid voltage is required to make things work (I know, because when that zener supplying that voltage dies, the waveform gets messed up and biasing isn't correct).
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Given the time of the year, I have been somewhat preoccupied and haven’t looked at the amp for a while. I tried to address tonight.

The plate voltage was 660VDC, the screen voltage was 330VDC, the control grid voltage was 15.6VDC, the cathode voltage was 52VDC.

The mains voltage was 230vac instead of 240vac.

I put 1 ohm resistors on the plate and measured around 3mA of current.
IMG_8888.jpeg
I posted this to help people who haven’t seen this type of Musicman amp before and could use a heads up on what to expect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Mark

Post by Mark »

The amp is putting out about 140 watts output. I should do more measurements to assist others.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott