Relay mechanical noise level - (video)

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

timrobertson100

Relay mechanical noise level - (video)

Post by timrobertson100 »

Hi folks

This is my first use of a relay, so before wiring in the signal board, I wanted to test it.
It's getting a clean 12V supply and it works, but I'm surprised at the level of mechanical noise. A quick video is attached - for reference, it's louder than you hear toggling the manual switch on the front.

The relay I bought is this Finder one which I see is rated up to 2A at 230VAC.
I hadn't paid enough attention when ordering and see there is a Fujitsu "signal" one which is rated at 0.5A at 120VAC.

I guess I bought one intended to switch power circuits and not signals - before I order anew are the relays rated at lower power much quieter, please?

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Re: Relay mechanical noise level - (video)

Post by Stevem »

The noise level a relay makes when closing has nothing to do with the current and voltage rating that it's closed contacts can handle.

I have found that if you have a ton of extra current on hand then what the coil of the relay needs to close itself then the hand clap of that action will be louder maybe then it should.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The Omron relays commonly used in The Dumble circuits as described here are pretty quiet, hard to hear over the noise of the rear panel mini toggle switches.
timrobertson100

Stevem wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:20 am The noise level a relay makes when closing has nothing to do with the current and voltage rating that it's closed contacts can handle.

I have found that if you have a ton of extra current on hand then what the coil of the relay needs to close itself then the hand clap of that action will be louder maybe then it should.
Thanks Steve - that is very helpful to know.
I'm powering the relay using the typical Dumble circuit, but at 12V, driven from a spare 8VAC winding I have, and the foot and toggle switch just make or break the ground connection.

Is there anything you'd suggest changing, or is this pretty much what is expected, please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timrobertson100

martin manning wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:03 pm The Omron relays commonly used in The Dumble circuits as described here are pretty quiet, hard to hear over the noise of the rear panel mini toggle switches.
Thanks, Martin (I was writing as you posted). I know this will be quieter when it's all buttoned up but it just seemed (to this relay newbie) unexpectedly loud.

Maybe I'll add some Omron's on my next order and experiment.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Stevem wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:20 am The noise level a relay makes when closing has nothing to do with the current and voltage rating that it's closed contacts can handle.
Sure it does. High current rating for contacts means the contacts must be physically larger. The bigger mass of the contacts requires a bigger armature. Bigger armature makes more noise when closing. For extreme example, the 30 amp contactor in your A/C compressor circuit make a very noticable "clunk", while small signal relays are hardly audible.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Reed relays are essentially silent, although they are expensive and hard to find in SPDT, even harder to find in DPDT. Not a leading choice, but available.

Relays noted as "low signal" are physically smaller, and likelier to be mechanically quiet. I have used the Panasonic TQ2 series, the Kemet EA-2 series, and the Fujitsu FTR series in my prototypes and in commercial effects. These are all in a 10 pin, low profile package that is about half the size of the one you're using. These are very quiet, and usually inaudible inside a metal box.
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

timrobertson100 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:08 pm
martin manning wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:03 pm The Omron relays commonly used in The Dumble circuits as described here are pretty quiet, hard to hear over the noise of the rear panel mini toggle switches.
Thanks, Martin (I was writing as you posted). I know this will be quieter when it's all buttoned up but it just seemed (to this relay newbie) unexpectedly loud.

Maybe I'll add some Omron's on my next order and experiment.
+1 for the Omron. These are very quiet and I have used this brand for years in industrial applications with very reliable results.

That said I would have no issue with putting the Fujitsu relay you linked to in my amp. The specs are similar to the Omron.
Glenn
timrobertson100

Thanks Glenn, RG, Sluckey

I’ll replace this with a different type down the line then.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Great point Sluckey!

Never looked at it like that.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!