Source for 3x20uF cap can with three ground tabs?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Yoda

Source for 3x20uF cap can with three ground tabs?

Post by Yoda »

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has a source for a modern 20/20/20uF cap can that can fit in the mounting plate with three slots arranged in a triangular fashion (as pictured below) as opposed to the usual four tab variety? I just got a brand-new CE and it has four tabs which won’t fit where I need it to fit. Unfortunately the original mounting plate is riveted and soldered to the chassis with a heavy iron so my chances of removing it are slim to none.

Thanks in advance for any help.

timrobertson100

Re: Source for 3x20uF cap can with three ground tabs?

Post by timrobertson100 »

I looked and couldn’t spot anything from any of the places I’ve used. Do you know the original capacitor brand?

One hack might be to drill and mount a 4 tab plate on some short (5mm?) standoffs.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

When I am faced with this and do not have the room to add 3 separate filters I drill out the rivets, pry off the soldered on old plate and install a new one with the mounting holes clocked 90 degrees off from the original..
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Roe

Post by Roe »

https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/en/co ... tisection/

not exactly right but in the ballpark
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

The original brand is Arcolytic. Yeah I was thinking some kind of adapter will have to do. Or using separate caps, which I hate to do.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Yoda wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:44 am I was wondering if anyone has a source for a modern 20/20/20uF cap can that can fit in the mounting plate with three slots arranged in a triangular fashion (as pictured below) as opposed to the usual four tab variety? I just got a brand-new CE and it has four tabs which won’t fit where I need it to fit. Unfortunately the original mounting plate is riveted and soldered to the chassis with a heavy iron so my chances of removing it are slim to none.
It's easy to drill out the rivets or use a Dremel to grind them out. This Weller D550 soldering gun will easily unsolder the mounting plate. If you're gonna repair tube amps you need this gun on your bench. You will probably need to enlarge the hole for the bigger cap can.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Another option--leave the old can in place but clip the +ve leads, then install some modern, radial caps in its place.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

xtian wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:13 pm Another option--leave the old can in place but clip the +ve leads, then install some modern, radial caps in its place.
Well for now this is plan B.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

sluckey wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:32 pm
Yoda wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:44 am I was wondering if anyone has a source for a modern 20/20/20uF cap can that can fit in the mounting plate with three slots arranged in a triangular fashion (as pictured below) as opposed to the usual four tab variety? I just got a brand-new CE and it has four tabs which won’t fit where I need it to fit. Unfortunately the original mounting plate is riveted and soldered to the chassis with a heavy iron so my chances of removing it are slim to none.
It's easy to drill out the rivets or use a Dremel to grind them out. This Weller D550 soldering gun will easily unsolder the mounting plate. If you're gonna repair tube amps you need this gun on your bench. You will probably need to enlarge the hole for the bigger cap can.
You’re right, about having the right tool for the job. Have you used that particular iron? Because I was shopping for one for this exact reason but there’s so many Chinese ones on Amazon and some of them look physically too big to do what I need without damaging other components. The one you linked looks much better and is pretty affordable.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Stevem wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:44 am When I am faced with this and do not have the room to add 3 separate filters I drill out the rivets, pry off the soldered on old plate and install a new one with the mounting holes clocked 90 degrees off from the original..
Sorry I didn’t see this post before. I’ve done this before it’s just gonna be tough to do that without hitting all the other point to point components in the process on this particular amp.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

We can disregard this thread at this point. I managed to get the old capacitor mounting plate off and I have the new ones that match the modern cap can coming in the mail. I will simply have to drill out the hole with a step-bit to fit but I feel it’s the only way to do it right. Thanks for the help anyways guys.
Last edited by Yoda on Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Yoda wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:02 pm You’re right, about having the right tool for the job. Have you used that particular iron?
I've had my Weller D550 since the early '70s. It will handle steel chassis solder jobs with ease. Weller makes high quality stuff. When you need the heat, Weller is hard to beat!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I have an old D550 too. Not sure how old (It says Cooper group), but old enough that it will accept a "tip" made from a short piece of 10 Ga wire, which is nice for chassis work.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

The last time I used my D550 I was cutting yacht braid. I used 12AWG and hammered the "tip" flat. Works just like the expensive store bought tips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Well I think I’ll be buying one of those D550s anyways.