SLO preamp clean/crunch balance

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

yaanno

SLO preamp clean/crunch balance

Post by yaanno »

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on the SLO preamp gain structure. Prepping a first build and I was wondering if the clean / crunch gain setting could be separated and if yes, would it make any sense at all :)

The SLO pre has a switch for these but switching between these two is hard because the crunch side has a lot more gain so I was thinking maybe I could add a gain pot for clean, and an other for the crunch side and so the player would have the benefit of switching sides without touching the master and pre gain sections. Attached a schem on the idea (using the schem from Rob Robinette).

Sidenotes.
1) At first I'm thinking of build this as a somewhat clean amp with a moderate gain. On the demos I really liked it, but honestly the drive part is too much :)
2) I'm reusing a late 70's Peavey Mace (6 x 6l6gc) and I will build this with 4 x 6l6gc power section because it is already loud enough and also to try to save some juice for the preamp section (3 small bottles for now). Eventually I might add a nice reverb to the combo since it has one already (disconnected).

Just wanted to highlight #2 because if anyone is in need for the Mace preamp board I'm more than happy to give it away. Unfortunately the power section is burned at stake.

Thanks a lot!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.