What Electrolytrics are trustworthy these days?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bcmatt

What Electrolytrics are trustworthy these days?

Post by bcmatt »

I just got a 74 deluxe for cheap. I was looking at AES for replacement caps, and notice that these "MOD" caps are significantly cheaper than the brands I used to use. Does anyone know about their quality and consistency?

Since it seems things are always changing, along with prices... and prices don't necessarily mean anything, are there brands to avoid or trust in 2024?
Yoda

Re: What Electrolytrics are trustworthy these days?

Post by Yoda »

I use F&Ts as well as MODs. The MODs are my go-to for budget builds, I’ve never had a problem with them. But for a vintage Fender amp they deserve the nicer (IMO) F&Ts. Sprague Atoms seem to have fallen out of favor in the last decade.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

For axial caps I usually do F&T or MOD for high voltage types and MOD or Vishay for low voltage. On new builds I typically use radial Nichicon or Panasonic. Anything from a proper distributor should be fine. The Sprague Atoms are nice but way too expensive. I also assume less people buying them means the stock from some stores would tend to be on the older side. Fresh is good.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

At work last month a recapped a Friedman that was no more then 4 years old.
It was built with a 2 section can cap from AES and was already swelling up pretty well.

Whatever brand filters AES relabeled as theirs seem to suck!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Stevem wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:42 am At work last month a recapped a Friedman that was no more then 4 years old.
It was built with a 2 section can cap from AES and was already swelling up pretty well.

I hope it’s not CE! I’ve used many CE cap cans in the last few years with no problems. They’re just expensive.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

CE cans are supposedly proper multi section caps like the old ones and built to a high standard but have seen the inside of some other brands cans that are just no name Chinese radial caps with hot glue for insulation. If they don’t say what’s inside it’s probably best to avoid…

I tend to stick with using separate, high quality, radials. More grounding options at least.
bepone

Post by bepone »

All industrial brands..
mostly:
Nichicon TVX - unfortunatelly no more in production
F&T
Nichicon and Nippon Chemi con radials
KEMET PEG (Rifa) Axials
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

bepone is right - you want reliability in electrolytics, you get current, industrial rated, high volume production parts.

I suspect that multisection cans these days are all made by the "maker" buying manufactured cores from a real manufacturer of electros and then installing these cores in a can.
bcmatt

Post by bcmatt »

Being in Canada, I try to limit how many places I need to order from. Since I need to buy a doghouse too, I'll be ordering from AES.

I'd like it to be all one order, so I'll probably get a pair of 6V6s and a 5u4 just in case. My partial 5e3 to tweedle-dee conversion could maybe use them too.

I see alot of people bumping up the 16uF filters to 20s in these old Deluxe Reverbs. Thoughts on this?

Interestingly, when it comes to F&T radials, 22uF 500V are $4.25 each, while 16uF 475V are $5.95 each... both types rated up to 85 degrees Celsius.

Meanwhile the Mod Electronics say they are rated up to 105 degrees Celsius. 20uF 500V are $2.50 each and 16uF 475V are $1.95 each. Would you say you are less inclined to trust their ratings and consistency?

I'm willing to pay for whichever since the difference is not crazy compared to what will likely be tacked on for shipping anyways. I just want to make the smart/reliable choice.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

bcmatt wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:17 pm
I see alot of people bumping up the 16uF filters to 20s in these old Deluxe Reverbs. Thoughts on this?
Same old tired answer that gets mentioned on nearly every capacitor inquiry : it’s negligible. Old caps varied well above and below 20% tolerance
Charlie
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Here's a pic for size comparison, not that it necessarily means much. I would be inclined to trust F&T slightly more than MOD because I have used them for longer and they have made caps for longer, but haven't heard of any issues with either. I would also be cautious in judging temperature ratings without checking the datasheet to see what the number means in context.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Yoda wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:10 pm
Stevem wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:42 am At work last month a recapped a Friedman that was no more then 4 years old.

I hope it’s not CE! I’ve used many CE cap cans in the last few years with no problems. They’re just expensive.
When you can fit it, Mojo makes a 4 section 500 Volt cap that works well in Fenders and other amps with the room to accommodate them. We drill two holes, and replace quad caps easily.

https://www.mojotone.com/Mojotone-20uF- ... -Capacitor

Yes, AES caps stink. Freidman got a batch of bummers. We get amps with motorboating and weak and distorted with failed filters.
We like MOD's for general purpose replacements, and F&T for classic pieces like Tweed Fender's etc.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
bcmatt

Post by bcmatt »

maxkracht wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:46 pm Here's a pic for size comparison, not that it necessarily means much. I would be inclined to trust F&T slightly more than MOD because I have used them for longer and they have made caps for longer, but haven't heard of any issues with either. I would also be cautious in judging temperature ratings without checking the datasheet to see what the number means in context.
Wow! ya, that does seem a bit more revealing. No that it guarantees the specs are off, but I do think I'll be more comfortable with the F&Ts
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

ARS are my favorite sounding electrolytic cap, hands down . Both cans and axial.

I know people like to emphasize their belief that “capacitance is capacitance”, or say self reflective things like “you can remember the difference between caps after all that time unsoldering and installing the new ones?”… now they can save their breath today.

I have heard varying reports on reliability and specs . Friedman had some fail I remember him testifying. Seems like I hear that about every axial brand from at least one person nowadays, except for the newer MOD and Vishay (maybe because they haven’t been around long enough yet) .

Never had one fail on me , but of course that could be part luck. Fwiw I also test and reform every cap before I install them, so if there’s an obvious bad apple it gets rejected.

I haven’t built an amp without some for awhile now. If I ever find a failure I will report to the forum.

I am very curious about the mojotone caps , didn’t know about them , thanks for sharing that suggestion Andy
Charlie
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

I may stand corrected: I believe the caps Freidman had issues with were A R S not A E S... just changed out a batch in a Marshall from 2003. We do work for Boutique amps and saw our share of leaking or simply open caps causing all kinds of fun.

No idea how or why Marshall would use ARS caps from a distributor in California, but their at 20 years anyway, so out they go.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.