Radial Lead Filter Caps

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

wattsup

Radial Lead Filter Caps

Post by wattsup »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good brand of Radial lead caps for filter caps?
Roe

Re: Radial Lead Filter Caps

Post by Roe »

what kind of amp or application?
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Vishay makes good ones, Panasonic makes some of the best, but they can be hard to find in the needed tube amp voltage ratings.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
xtian

Post by xtian »

Panasonic and Nichicon are the ones I used most often, purchased from mouser.com.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
wattsup

Post by wattsup »

Stevem wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:10 am Vishay makes good ones, Panasonic makes some of the best, but they can be hard to find in the needed tube amp voltage ratings.
xtian wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:45 pm Panasonic and Nichicon are the ones I used most often, purchased from mouser.com.
That helps. Other than voltage ratings, what should I look for, for a filter cap?
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

wattsup wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:02 pm Other than voltage ratings, what should I look for, for a filter cap?
Depends on the use. You need to pay attention to lead spacing, length, and diameter, especially if installing on a PCB. It needs to fit, or it's no good. In general, higher temp and ripple current ratings are good. Anything from a proper distributor like Mouser or Digikey should do fine in a tube amp if you hit the voltage rating and size requirements.
xtian

Post by xtian »

wattsup wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:02 pmOther than voltage ratings, what should I look for, for a filter cap?
Also, mouser.com shows life expectancy in hours.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

xtian wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:32 pm Also, mouser.com shows life expectancy in hours.
Any opinions on stated life expectancy vs ripple current rating? Some have long life at a lower ripple current, but I assume a slightly shorter stated life but a higher ripple current rating means overall longer life in an amp. More ripple current also means physically larger, so I assume more better. I do usually go for the 10k hour rated stuff, but not every cap has a life number and I don't know how much of that is marketing anyway.
xtian

Post by xtian »

maxkracht wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:40 pmand I don't know how much of that is marketing anyway.
Me neither!