Removing Negative Feedback

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

maxkracht

Re: Removing Negative Feedback

Post by maxkracht »

leave the resistor, unsolder the other end of the wire connecting to the speaker, attach that to your switch then run another wire from the switch to the speaker jack.
zozoe

Post by zozoe »

The end of the resistor is connected to that Green wire which goes into the tranny, with ANOTHER Green wire emerging from the tranny & going to the speaker....
So, lifting that R38 as it sits (the tan side of board) on either end, won't remove the NFB?
Screenshot_2024-02-08_135112.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Lifting the resistor will do the same thing, just less chance of damaging the board if you don't touch the board. It either takes NFB from another transformer tap or two leads coming off of the same tap. You can remove the green wire from the board and add a switch between it and that resistor, or lift the resistor.
zozoe

Post by zozoe »

Thnx Max,,, so take this green wire, & insert my double throw on/off switch there,, Green wire to one pole, & a wire from that (former) connection to the other pole.... then I can chassis mount somewhere on the back? Again, that Green wire goes into te tranny,, No issue, right? the only destination and end of the line for the nfb R is that Green wire, I assume?
Thnx, Kenny ॐ
Screenshot_2024-02-08_135112.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Yes, if there is enough extra length on that green wire you could just cut it in half and connect the two halves to a switch. If there's a ground switch that's no longer being used you might be able to use that and avoid drilling extra holes.
zozoe

Post by zozoe »

And THAT Green wire doesn't go directly to the speaker lead,,, it goes into the tranny first.... I'm good there?
thnx a mill~ॐ💃
20240209_001331.jpg
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Yes. Closeups of wires aren't giving me any information, but if that resistor matches the schematic and there is a wire coming from the transformer it should be the NFB tap.
zozoe

Post by zozoe »

Well folks, all in all, faster than it takes to change all 6 strings on a gtr., it's done!!
I live it when everything simply falls into place..... thanks again!!
and it sounds AWESOME ÷÷
20240209_001331.jpg
20240209_130152.jpg
20240210_003423.jpg
20240210_003343.jpg
wpaulvogel

Post by wpaulvogel »

zozoe wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:33 am And THAT Green wire doesn't go directly to the speaker lead,,, it goes into the tranny first.... I'm good there?
thnx a mill~ॐ💃
20240209_001331.jpg
Apparently when the transformers were ordered Ampeg specified an internal tap for the NFB which kept the wires closer to the board. It’s actually a good idea in this case because the wire passes through the chassis and solders close on the board. NFB wiring can cause parasitic oscillations if the routing is clumsy and this is neatly done.
How do you like the amp without the NFB.