loud scratching noise on One Channel

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

maxkracht

Re: loud scratching noise on One Channel

Post by maxkracht »

Thought of another easy to overlook/hard to chopstick problem. If the pots are loose at all you can lose ground connections intermittently. Also, I think there are a couple grid wires running under the board right next to those tone stack caps. Hidden melty insulation could cause some problems and make that part of the board poppy.
hebaton

Post by hebaton »

Hi all and thank you for the help.
I believe I have found the issue. tink it is the tube socket itself. Most of the pin connectors will move up and down easily from when pulled from inside.
If I push the tube inwards and hold it there while sound goes trough the channel, the issue does not come up !

Would much appreciate recommendations for the best tube socket replacement !
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Beltons are nice, if you don't mind the color difference. You might get away with cleaning the original socket if it doesn't look too damaged. I fill a syringe with rubbing alcohol and squirt it through each pin. Then use a toothpick or a tiny brush to scrub the inside of the pins. Collect the alcohol with a paper towel and when you get a clear stain instead of a brown one you are probably done. This might take multiple attempts and can help if you scrape away any flux before starting.