Cap across PT Secondary..

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

leadfootdriver

Cap across PT Secondary..

Post by leadfootdriver »

Old topic I'm sure, but I can't really find a definite answer for a Tube Amp..

I have a 2 phase Rectifier. The Schematic has a 10n Cap across the Secondary for noise. Okay, cool, but I have a pack 20!

Is there any audible benefit to also running them in parallel with the Diodes??
ViperDoc

Re: Cap across PT Secondary..

Post by ViperDoc »

HAD placed .01uF caps in parallel to his rectifier diodes on ODS 183. How that benefits noise over good lead dress and such is above my pay grade, but check that SCH/Layout in the Dumble Files section if you like.
Just plug it in, man.
leadfootdriver

Post by leadfootdriver »

Meh, can't wait forever.. I did both, 1st across the Secondary and together with Caps in parallel with the Diodes. I'm running a Two-Phase Rectifier with 2-pairs on IN4007's in Series.

I recorded the noise without, with and with all and looped the recording, and with my dog ears :lol: I noticed the best result with just the Cap across the secondary. There was slightly less low hum.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

By two phase rectifier and I correct in assuming that you mean a full wave recto set up?

Here's a few other ways to cut back on hum, but these are for the filiment winding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

leadfootdriver wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:53 pm Old topic I'm sure, but I can't really find a definite answer for a Tube Amp..

I have a 2 phase Rectifier. The Schematic has a 10n Cap across the Secondary for noise. Okay, cool, but I have a pack 20!

Is there any audible benefit to also running them in parallel with the Diodes??
The caps across the rectifiers shunt to ground the high frequency components of the current pulse generated when the diode slams on and off.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.