transformer w/voltage doubler

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

phillyhudson

transformer w/voltage doubler

Post by phillyhudson »

hi all - need some advice on the following transformer thanks - it's meant to be for a dumbleator 2

can I tie-off the centre tap then use the conventional voltage doubler dumbleator power supply ? I understand i'll probably have to fiddle with the dropping string values - it's just the doubler aspect I'm not that familiar with , particularly with a centre tap
trans-14_orig.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbass

Re: transformer w/voltage doubler

Post by cbass »

Perhaps this will be of help to you.
Edit: I thought this link had info about a voltage doubler circuit in it but I was wrong. It does have a full wave bridge rectifier though
https://www.digikey.jp/htmldatasheets/p ... r-use.html
Last edited by cbass on Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbass

Post by cbass »

As far as I know you can ignore the transformer CT when using a voltage doubler circuit.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

phillyhudson wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:15 pm hi all - need some advice on the following transformer thanks - it's meant to be for a dumbleator 2

can I tie-off the centre tap then use the conventional voltage doubler dumbleator power supply ? I understand i'll probably have to fiddle with the dropping string values - it's just the doubler aspect I'm not that familiar with , particularly with a centre tap

trans-14_orig.gif
You don't need a doubler. Tie off the CT and use a full-wave bridge. That will result in nominally 280 x 1.414 = 390 VDC, a bit less in reality. You won't be able to use the full current rating as specified , maybe half of that, but that should be plenty for your purposes.
phillyhudson

Post by phillyhudson »

thanks all - I didnt realise a full wave bridge increased it by that much